Adding 10 degrees flap setting to early B model

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Collin Gyenes

Adding 10 degrees flap setting to early B model

Post by Collin Gyenes »

Hi,

I would like to add 10 degree setting to my 52 B model. I need to replace the worn rachet so like to upgrade at the same time. Where can I buy #0510191-1 rachet.

Thanks
'52 170 N2768D
Collin Gyenes
Oregon Rep
doakes

Post by doakes »

Collin,
Send me an e-mail at home.
Thanks
Dave Oakes
Doakes@Qserve.net
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Cessna used to take the position that it was illegal/prohibited to place a later 10-degree ratchet-sector in an earlier B-model. But now that they've run out of the earlier sectors and only have the later one in stock, they've suddenly endorsed the idea of placing the later sector in an earlier airplane.
You can buy one from http://www.cessnaparts.com/
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

If the worn part of the ratchet are the flat parts that the part attached to the flap handle rests in, or in other words, those flat spots are now rounded and allow the part to slip a dremel tool will easily re-flatten those and restore to good working condition.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I've just started playing around with pulling on a little flaps just as the tail starts to come up. It's incredible! with the Lccoming it leaps 50 feet into the air and then climbs at an incredible rate at 60 mph. I wouldn't want to climb it that slow for long but it's really neat. It's a little difficult for me to be smooth doing this because it's a pretty long reach for the flap handle so it would be far better to have the 10 degree notch.

So the question is can I get to the part easily here this Summer with simple tools or should I wait until I get back to AZ this winter with all my tools and hangar. Would it only be a few hour job? Anybody priced the new part yet?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

It is a simple job with few tools to remove the ratchet assembly. The hardest part is if your carpet is glued to the tunnel.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
flyguy

SEE I TOLE YU SO

Post by flyguy »

:? I JES NEW GAYHORN AN OLE CLIDES BUDDYS WUD FLNLY COME ROUN! NOW GAY YOU JES OTTER POLOGISE TU ME FER THRETIN TU TURN ME IN FER SAWIN A LIL BITTY BIT OF STEAL FRUM MY FLAP RACHET :roll:

DAVE, IYD LIKE TO RIDE IN YER ROCKET SUMTYM C'MON DOWN TO CAJUN COUNTRY AND ILL TRADE YU SUM GOOD OLE LOOSYANNA QWEEZEEN FER A RIDE. OLE GAR
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Now, Gar, don't you go tryin' to put wurds in my mouth! I never threatened to turn you in for sawin' on your ratchet. I was only threatenin' to turn you in for impersonatin' a meckanik! :roll:
You got that thang ready fur Wilmington?
Collin Gyenes

Flap rachet

Post by Collin Gyenes »

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I bought a new rachet from Cessnaparts.com. I will let you all know how the paper work gos.
'52 170 N2768D
Collin Gyenes
Oregon Rep
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Ole Gar

Might indeed get down your way sometime and would love to get you up in my bird. BUT you'd have to speak english! :)

Did you have to take the part out to saw the notch?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Re: Flap rachet

Post by GAHorn »

Collin Gyenes wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the help. I bought a new rachet from Cessnaparts.com. I will let you all know how the paper work gos.
Collin, there should be no additional paperwork! Simply replace the part, and log it in the aircraft maintenance log with an A&P signature.