Aircraft Re-Registration Requirements

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

minton

Aircraft Re-Registration Requirements

Post by minton »

Don't forget to RE-Register your aircraft per their (FAA's) schedule. Not my idea :lol: :oops: :mrgreen:
GAHorn

Re: Aircraft Re-Registration Requirements

Post by GAHorn »

It might be helpful to have the website link to do this.
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificate ... ation_faq/

Summary: Don't worry, YOu'll be notified by FAA by ordinary mail when it's time to re-register. It can be don ONline, and the fee is $5.
If you ignore the mailing, they'll remind you. Then if you let it expire, they'll tell you again. If it expires, your registration/tail-number may be re-assigned to another aircraft. (That way you too, can be just like the Kings and be falsely arrested.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yep now instead of one mailing every three years to each aircraft owner, the government might be sending up to three mailings to each aircraft owner every three years.

And after you don't register your aircraft for 5 years you registration number may be reassigned. Soooo. It will take at least 6 years until the FAA database is clear of registrations for aircraft that may or may not still exist. Then of course each year there will be more aircraft that won't be registered and so on and so on.

In any case we are just that much safer. Yes this was brought on mostly under the pretext of security. I feel so much better knowing that people who break the law, specially terrorists, would dare fly an unregistered aircraft. And all it might cost is up to 3 times the mailing cost not to mention the salaries for the folks now required to process ALL the registrations. And then of course the government will need some way of producing and mailing the new registration back to the owner. There is another mailing. Oh and if you think you'll just be getting a post card registration card your wrong. I'm sure it will be in some secure envelope though I'm sure it will bought from the lowest bidder. Lets add the mailed to each airport along with posters explaining the new regulation and we have even more expense.

But don't worry the reregistration is only $5 now but the law allows that to be raised to $50 (as I remember reading) and new aircraft registrations costing $145.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I would have been more impressed if they'd require a photocopy of the last annual inspection sign-off as a prerequisite for re-registration. I know of at least a half-dozen airplanes which fly without current inspections, by pilots without current medical certs.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote:I would have been more impressed if they'd require a photocopy of the last annual inspection sign-off as a prerequisite for re-registration. I know of at least a half-dozen airplanes which fly without current inspections, by pilots without current medical certs.
Yeah, I was just talking to my hangar neighbor about that. He was surprised that your IA wasn't required to notify the FAA when he performed an annual on your aircraft every year.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
minton

Post by minton »

So much for the paperwork reduction act :lol: :lol: :lol:
minton

Post by minton »

gahorn wrote:I would have been more impressed if they'd require a photocopy of the last annual inspection sign-off as a prerequisite for re-registration. I know of at least a half-dozen airplanes which fly without current inspections, by pilots without current medical certs.
So turn them in!!
15A

Post by 15A »

My dad bought his Champ the year I was born. (50's) :| Got his solo ticket and that was it! For years and years we had the best times of our lives! I think he was a major factor as to why we have laws now! 8O Knew of many others, then and now, that may not be quite 100% legal. Doesn't make them bad pilots.

I'D NEVER TURN THEM IN... :evil:
Joe Craig
'56 C172 Taildragger N6915A
'46 Aeronca Champ N65HM
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Yep now instead of one mailing every three years to each aircraft owner, the government might be sending up to three mailings to each aircraft owner every three years.

And after you don't register your aircraft for 5 years you registration number may be reassigned. Soooo. It will take at least 6 years until the FAA database is clear of registrations for aircraft that may or may not still exist. Then of course each year there will be more aircraft that won't be registered and so on and so on.

In any case we are just that much safer. Yes this was brought on mostly under the pretext of security. I feel so much better knowing that people who break the law, specially terrorists, would dare fly an unregistered aircraft. And all it might cost is up to 3 times the mailing cost not to mention the salaries for the folks now required to process ALL the registrations. And then of course the government will need some way of producing and mailing the new registration back to the owner. There is another mailing. Oh and if you think you'll just be getting a post card registration card your wrong. I'm sure it will be in some secure envelope though I'm sure it will bought from the lowest bidder. Lets add the mailed to each airport along with posters explaining the new regulation and we have even more expense.

But don't worry the reregistration is only $5 now but the law allows that to be raised to $50 (as I remember reading) and new aircraft registrations costing $145.
Make-work to help keep the U. S. Postal Service in business.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

lowNslow wrote:
Yeah, I was just talking to my hangar neighbor about that. He was surprised that your IA wasn't required to notify the FAA when he performed an annual on your aircraft every year.
An IA is required to record every annual, repairs and alterations, and send that list in to the local FSDO. Although the primary reason for this is renewal of the IA license, required info includes aircraft Reg#, SN#, type activity (annual, repair, or alteration), results of activity (approved or not approved for return to service), and date of activity.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
170C

Post by 170C »

Just another typical "grow the government" operation. That way they can add a bunch more employees to the government teat :evil: I agree that registrations should be correct and old aircraft that are no longer in existance should have their N numbers deleted. Regarding the copy of the pilot or owner's medical certificate, that is neither pertinent nor needed. We are required to receive a medical on a regular basis now, depending on what class of certificate we hold. I have doubts that requiring medicals does very much to prevent medically related accidents. Better that we should change the medical to that which the light sport has----self approved daily with a current drivers license. Also get rid of annual inspections and go to a bi-year inspection. As others have mentioned previously, we are wearing out our planes taking them apart every year to inspect them. Those who want to inspect their planes on an annual basis or monthly basis, if desired, can do so. IMHO
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

We (Canada) have an annual report that's filled out by the owner. Costs nothing if you go on-line, 70 cents if you mail it in. If the plane is just sitting then you just state that and as well they want to know the usual as who did what and when. If possible please fight any nibbling at the fringe as our boys often look south for inspiration and for new ways to lighten my wallet to improve their pensions.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

wingnut wrote: An IA is required to record every annual, repairs and alterations, and send that list in to the local FSDO. Although the primary reason for this is renewal of the IA license, required info includes aircraft Reg#, SN#, type activity (annual, repair, or alteration), results of activity (approved or not approved for return to service), and date of activity.
I didn't know this. Has this always been the case or is it something new? Seems if you are a busy IA you'd spend a lot of time doing paperwork for the feds. Do you have to report ALL activity or just enough to re-certify.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

lowNslow wrote:
wingnut wrote: An IA is required to record every annual, repairs and alterations, and send that list in to the local FSDO. Although the primary reason for this is renewal of the IA license, required info includes aircraft Reg#, SN#, type activity (annual, repair, or alteration), results of activity (approved or not approved for return to service), and date of activity.
I didn't know this. Has this always been the case or is it something new? Seems if you are a busy IA you'd spend a lot of time doing paperwork for the feds. Do you have to report ALL activity or just enough to re-certify.
Up until a couple years ago, it was an annual report, that's been changed to reporting every 2 years. It's not a big deal to file once every 2 years if you keep a file and update everytime you use the IA. And yes, I do have to report EVERY IA activity.
Even if I did have to send this info every time I returned the aircraft to service, it wouldn't be that much of a burden, compared to all the other documentation; log entries, 337 forms (which have to be mailed within 48 hours of return to service), AD compliance reports and etc.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
HA

Post by HA »

Del, your FSDO must have a different reporting requirement than mine. I don't have to report everything I did as an IA, just whatever is necessary to satisfy the renewal requirements.

Since our shop is a repair station and everything we do is on a work order, our FSDO doesn't accept those signoffs as a completed annual since it's a group effort. Gone are the days when we were a small shop and I personally signed off 40 annuals a year. So since I don't have the required 4 annuals or 8 major repairs/alterations signed off personally each year, our FSDO and the ND PAMA (Professional Aiviation Mechanics Association) chapter have worked out a deal where we have industry speakers at our yearly Aviation Symposium that the FSDO signs off on. The FAA guys make us listen to them for a required 2 hrs during the 3-day convention, and we get credit for the other mx speakers we go to - we have a punch card and PAMA guys take attendance for the FAA and punch our cards to prove that we got the training. So I can renew my IA using the "8 hrs of training" option for each year.

then after 2 years I just turn in my punch cards with at least 8 hrs of training for each year shown to the FAA guys and my completed renewal form and I'm good to go again. If I do some approved mx training elsewhere (FlightSafety, P&W, whatever) I can use that too of course as always. There are even online outfits like Gleim if I really get in a bind, just like renewing my CFI.

Or I could annual my 172 four times a year and that would be legal too, but frowned upon I'd guess.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane