Tying the bird outside.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Re: Tying the bird outside.

Post by bagarre »

Just got back from the bank! N2481D is officially ours!
Now all I need is my tailwheel endorsement :)

Some people on the field recommend against airplane covers for extended periods outside as they will chafe the paint and glass. This makes a lot of sense from my boating days. So, I'm going to use internal sun-blockers.

@Jon: I'll take the L-19 bolt. I'll call you later tonight.

Looking at photos, the map boxes look very different 52 and below vice 53 and above but I wonder if its just he lid or is the entire box assy.

If anyone has good photos or drawings of the map box, I'd like to have a look at them.
Or, if you're within a hundred or so miles of DC, I'd like to fly over with a camera.

Cheers,
-David
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Congratulations David.

I can almost assure you the glove boxes are different '52 and before and '53 and after because the part numbers are different. Cessna changed numbers when the part changed in most cases I'm aware.

I'm 122nm from DCA at KUKT. When your ready your welcome to fly up and I'll remove my glove box and door and you can measure and take all the pictures you want.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here's pics of Duane Shockey's gas/cap/wingflap/covers which keep water out of the fuel and flaps from being damaged in high winds:
Wingcovers 1.JPG
Wingcovers 2.JPG
Wingcovers 3.JPG
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jwsowles

Post by jwsowles »

Great suggestions, but I'd like to add another. There is more than weather to be concerned about. I lost my "brand new" 170 just this last winter because some idiot 3 planes away didn't secure his plane with a real knot. So I also recommend good "situational awareness" at your tie down. I now inspect knots, ropes, and attachment methods for a mile around me and speak up when I see something of concern. In the course of this, I've found sunken eye bolts that presumedly were secure deep in the ground that pull out. Second, be sure to insure for replacement value, not what you have in it. I only insured for what I had in it thinking if I had to claim that, I wouldn't be around. Wrong, and it cost me dearly. I love my new 170, but I'm spending lots to bring it up to snuff. Like you, can't afford a hangar just yet. I have to say, however, that in the search to replace mine, I met really nice people and ended up having a great trip flying it from Oregon back here to Maine. But insurance money can't really replace one of these beautiful planes. So weather, yes. But look around you. Best of luck and enjoy.

John - N3487D
John
N3487D '56 170B
N1427E '46 7AC
N36805 '41 BC65
KG

Post by KG »

I recently made a temporary move and tied my airplane outside at Sanford, NC (KTTA). I was appalled at what they are using for tie downs.
This is what they use.  Big chains with an open hook.
This is what they use. Big chains with an open hook.
Chains are not even tight.
Chains are not even tight.
Not a good photo but this is the other side of the same airplane where the tie down ring has been snatched out of the bottom of the wing, I assume by that big chain in a big wind.
Not a good photo but this is the other side of the same airplane where the tie down ring has been snatched out of the bottom of the wing, I assume by that big chain in a big wind.
Most airplanes on their ramp are tied down like this. Some have looped the chain around a gear leg but none of the chains are tight enough to keep a plane in position. The plane pictured above was canted sideways last week after a storm. I complained to the airport folks and they went out and put a chain around the other gear leg as that one poorly connected chain was all that was holding it down. At least one airplane there doesn't even have one chain or rope on it. A couple of people have used ropes. I pushed their chains aside and tied mine down well with my own ropes.
PB090014.JPG
I'm going to complain again as it wouldn't take much of a blow to have airplanes moving all over that ramp. I can't believe people would use that chain / hook setup and expect their airplane to be undamaged when they return. Most of the airplanes on this ramp have those slack chains hooked to them. It looks to me like they could move a couple of feet or so before that chain gets tight. I'm not very happy about my airplane being so close to them.

K
53 170B
170C

Post by 170C »

KG, you have a potential problem with all of those planes being loosely tied with those chains, as you know. That is poor airport management! I think you were smart to use your ropes to tie your plane. I won't use a chain of any kind if I can substitute my ropes for them. Chains have no "give" in them when the winds are rocking the plane and they jerk on the tie down rings. Not a good thing. Maybe you can convince the airport folks to substitute good quality ropes for the chains, but don't hold your breath. Good luck.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Unless it's a boat in the water, chains make terrible anchors. In the water, the chain acts like a weighted shock absorber and can actually smooth out a pitching boat riding an anchor.
On a plane, you shock load the little tiny bolts that hold the shackles to the wing. I'd bet that, with a few feet of slack chain, I could rip the rings right out of a strut. The shock loads are incredible.

If the FBO won't listen, you might consider contacting the FBO's insurance company. Not sure if it would work but they have a big interest in those planes being tied right.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

bagarre wrote:Unless it's a boat in the water, chains make terrible anchors. ...
I would agree, but with our intense sun and wind, chains are about all you see in this part of California. Most have a small S-hook about mid way down for taking out the slack. My method is to get the chains as tight as I can with the hooks, push the airplane back a foot or two to tighten them up, then chock the wheels to keep them tight. I do sleep better at night now that I have a hangar again.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

That's the same reason boats have to use chain in some places, the rock or coral will eat nylon for lunch.

I'd still fear the shock load of the chain. You can never get them truly snug and even a few inches of play can cause a very high load.
On idea is to use a snubber with some extra chain and an old maule tailwheel spring. The kind that are compressed rather than expanded? That would give you a decent cushion to the chain in all but the worst conditions.

Just a thought.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bagarre wrote:...If the FBO won't listen, you might consider contacting the FBO's insurance company. Not sure if it would work but they have a big interest in those planes being tied right.
That was my thought also. Ask the FBO and airport manager who their insurance carrier is, and how to contact them. This will remind them of their culpability in any damage from inadequate tie-downs, and may prompt them to respond. But be prepared for them to simply remove all tiedowns completely and leave it to the owners to supply their own tiedowns, which means you'll likely end up with adjacent airplanes tied down with strings and venetian-blind cords. :(

A survey/educational letter to all owners might bring a concerted effort to satisfy everyone.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I simply carried three short lengths of stout rope to connect the chains to my tiedown rings leaving no slack at all.
A three foot length of rope with a loop in one end can be connected between the chain and the tiedown ring using a double reduction to cinch it up tight.
BL
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

I,m with blueldr. I always carry good tie down ropes with me. If I must tie the airplane down, for any length of time, at a strange airport which is using chains for ties downs, I run my rope through their chain and tie the rope to the aircraft. Or, I will discard the chain altogether and run my rope through the airport's anchor in the ground.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Ditto, ditto. Under my 170's rear seat live chocks, ropes, anchors, a box of screws, light bulbs, fuses and other small spare parts, windshield cleaner, rags, hand cleaner and a quart of oil in a zip-lock bag. 10 lbs more or less, that stuff is always there. As they say, "don't leave home without it!"
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

But yeah, I know the original point was that other people aren't securing their aircraft properly, which is a hazard to ours. Education is needed! I'll bet many low-wing owners aren't as concerned about tying down as we high-wingers are. That may be somewhat justified, but you never know when that freak gale is going to get you!

Our own Joe Scoles has an excellent presentation on the need for good tie-downs, and how to do it. Maybe AOPA should have a module on this. It could reach a lot of pilots.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

jrenwick wrote:Ditto, ditto. Under my 170's rear seat live chocks, ropes, anchors, a box of screws, light bulbs, fuses and other small spare parts, windshield cleaner, rags, hand cleaner and a quart of oil in a zip-lock bag. 10 lbs more or less, that stuff is always there. As they say, "don't leave home without it!"
You forgot, leather-jacket, 1911 Gov't .45 , chocolate-bar, nylons, and prophylactics.