VFR-IFR Questions

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Re: VFR-IFR Questions

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:Actually, I can attest to the FACT that the MOST DANGEROUS JOB is discussion/forums-moderator.
It can be absolutely fatal to the ego! :lol: :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:Actually, I can attest to the FACT that the MOST DANGEROUS JOB is discussion/forums-moderator.
It can be absolutely fatal to the ego! :lol: :lol:
Only if one HAS an ego. :twisted:

According to Freud, "The ego is that part of the id which has been modified by the direct influence of the external world ... The ego represents what may be called reason and common sense, in contrast to the id, which contains the passions ... in its relation to the id it is like a man on horseback, who has to hold in check the superior strength of the horse; with this difference, that the rider tries to do so with his own strength, while the ego uses borrowed forces."

It's my "Id" that has suffered as a moderator. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

I basicly believe proficiency, not the rating you have determines safety. I have single and multi engine land, single engine sea, instrument airplane and am a former CFI. However in my final flying days I considered myself a single engine day time VFR pilot because I didn't fly or practice enough to consider myself a proficient instrument pilot although I might have met the "legal" IFR proficiency requirements. The last time I filed IFR and flew a multi engine aircraft was for Huricane Katrina relief and there was another qualified ME/IFR pilot in the plane with me. In my own opinion I still flew and practiced enough to be proficient in my 180, unfortunately in October 06 all flying ended for me due to medical problems. I had forty four good years of flying with no accidents or incidents.
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

This was a good thread for me to read, and ironic in a way since I haven't been perusing this forum often for a long time yet my interest in getting my IFR rating brought me back here to look at what other folks have done with their panels to equip their 170s.

I've been flying for a while now, and for nearly 500 of the last flight hours I've been one of those VFR pilots that eschewed IFR training as a waste of gas money. I thought what kind of a dolt wants to fly in the muck anyway, that's not why I fly, I'm all about VFR low and slow, grass strips etc......

The problem is that I'm in Washington State and I decided that I want to take the plane down to Death Valley, up to Alaska, etc. as far as I can afford while I still can (lost some flying friends due to age/life :cry: ) well the notion of flying through the crappy spring weather so I can enjoy Death Valley from the air in temperatures that are tolerable has changed my perspective on the IFR rating. My studies so far have actually piqued my interest even more, and I'm looking forward to being able to fly VFR on top in the not to distant future.
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Jr Cub

Glad you stopped by....thanks for your thoughts, it means alot.

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Willie-
Get the study material, books, CDs, whatever is the latest hot-tip-set-up these days and just start studying. You need to do that before you start actual instrument flight training anyway. Get John to do it with you and you guys will always have quality stuff to talk about and bounce off each other while you're learning. It may take several months to learn the stuff well enough to take the written, but whatever you do, don't quit after the first month or so of studying because it may be discouraging for awhile and will look the bleakest right before things start making sense and it turns into fun. There is a lot of stuff to learn that makes it look overwelming but just take it one piece at a time and it's easy. When you feel like you know it well enough, go to one of the 2-day-wonder seminars and get the written done. Then you have two years to complete the training but once you start, you'll want to get 'er done.

After you really get into studying, go ahead and start flight training and things will really start to fall in line. Try to fly in actual conditions while you're training and you'll learn how to work the system at the same time. You'll probably learn faster too when you're in the clouds for real. Just remember, you're in a Cessna, not an airliner, stay out ice, thunderstorms, and fog.

A 7yr old girl could do it. (inside joke)
Last edited by hilltop170 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

All Richard said is good advice but the best is the following:
hilltop170 wrote:Try to fly in actual conditions while you're training and you'll learn how to work the system at the same time. You'll probably learn faster too when you're in the clouds for real.
With most instructors leaving for other jobs as fast as they can find them it is sometimes difficult to find an instructor with ACTUAL experience. Depending on the part of the country you fly in doing it for real "in the system" isn't quite like the text books though you need the base knowledge of the text books to start.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Try to remember, that learning all the rules/regs/procedures can be intimidating (and I suspect is why so many don't pursue the rating ...[also commonly remarking about how sour those higher grapes must be anyway] ... but in actual practice and USE of the rating, things are very seamless and enjoyable. When you finally get that rating and use it to deal with minor weather and visibility issues to get to where the wx is nice..... you'll wonder why you put it off for so long. :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
akviperdriver

Post by akviperdriver »

Do I plan to file and fly single engine IFR in my 170B? No.

Can I pick up an enroute IFR clearance for a cloud break? Absolutely!

Do I plan on flying an approach to minimums? No. I'll go somewhere else, thank you.

Can I fly an ILS to 200' an 1/2? Absolutely... but I'm not going to.

Notice where I'm going with the questions? Can I do something/am I legal to do it? vs. Is it a situation that I want to put myself into? An IFR rating is simply another (great) tool in your drawer to utilize. Undoubtedly you will benefit from the experience you gain. It will allow you to be more comfortable 'in the system' and 'make the system' work for you. Back to my line of questions... legal and current vs. proficient.

Proficiency falls in line with currency. If you are proficient, odds are, you have most likely satisfied the requirements to be current and qualified. However, just because you shot a few approaches and did a couple turns in holding may mean you are legal, but it doesn't mean you are proficient. With practice comes proficiency; you may become comfortable shooting an ILS to 200' and 1/2. Right now, I'm not. I'm legal to, but due to my own comfort level, I wouldn't knowingly put myself in a position to require me to fly that approach.

Well, what if the weather is worse that it was forecast to be? Or in my case here in Alaska, when I've been out hunting for two days, my home airport is 300 miles away, and the best forecast I have is now 72hrs old? It sure is nice to be able to climb up and get radio contact, establish myself in the system if required, and pick up a cloud break to the MEA, or shoot an approach until I can request special VFR. I just make sure I have about a 1.5hr reserve (Alaska diverts are kinda far sometimes) to go somewhere else if I'm not comfortable with what I find when I get back to civilization.

Bottom line, the time and money invested will reap huge dividends in experience, comfort, and confidence. Go for it!

Chris
Chris Perkins
N8122A '52 170B
CFI, CFI-I, SEL, SES