Spark Plug Gap?????

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

derf62

Spark Plug Gap?????

Post by derf62 »

Is there a tool that allows one to OPEN the gap on Champion spark Plugs.. If not any ideas?
blueldr

Re: Spark Plug Gap?????

Post by blueldr »

Yes. There is a tool that attaches to the ground electrode to bend it out to open the gap. Be very careful in using any other tool for this purpose. Make sure no pressure is applied to the center electrode which can cause the ceramic insulator to break and ruin the spark plug.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Gap spreader from Spruce. Don't know exactly how to use it but I imagine you pry open the gap without pushing on the electrode some how.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/t ... reader.php
12-51520.jpg
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
derf62

Post by derf62 »

I am going to order from spruce and shall place a post as to how it works Thanks Bluelder & Bruce
hungstart

Post by hungstart »

The question is how did you end up with the gap below minimums :?:
My gapper goes in the vise and has two fingers that press on the electrodes, I put the gap gauge that I want to use between the center electrode and the other electrodes and press them together, correct gap every time. This is a very old gapper that I use, it came to my box back when I worked on radial engines and there wasn't 8 or 12 plugs to do, but 36 or more. It was several hours of work to pull them all, clean and gap and reinstall.
Rick
N170MB