Sheepskin Seat Covers

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

planepilot1

Sheepskin Seat Covers

Post by planepilot1 »

I don't want to wear out my welcome asking for opinions here, but those with experience who will share that experience can be of major help to those without it. What are your opinions/experiences with the sheepskin seat covers and where is the best place to get them if one were to choose to purchase them? Leather seats just aren't comfortable in warm & hot climates! Have seen them advertised in Sporty's and Aircraft Spruce for about the same price ($350-$375 +-). Don't know differences in "Blue Ribbon Sheepskin" and "Aerosheep Australian Sheepskin" covers. Will appreciate your input.
Frank N6888A[/b]
Frank Stephenson
GAHorn

Seat Covers

Post by GAHorn »

Sheepskin covers are what are on one airplane at work. They are comfortable (they allow a little air to circulate, and wick up the sweat) but they look like %@#$% after three years. And they take up lots of room in a small airplane like a 170 (even a C-model). :)
I have a set of heavy-duty terri-cloth covers dyed to match my interior, and I like them a lot. Their purpose was primarily to protect the fabrics and keep my front seats looking nice, but their comfort and ability to wick the sweat makes me like 'em more than I thought I would. And they are cheap and can be tossed into the wash. They come out fluffy again. They have long "velcro" tabs that reach beneath the seat and grab each other to hold the covers taut and in-place. If you want to try it on the cheap, grab a couple of large, heavy/fluffy towels and drape across your seat with the loop-side out, and go fly.
planepilot1

sheepskin Seat Covers

Post by planepilot1 »

George, thanks for the suggestion. Where did you locate the terrycloth covers you use in your plane? Frank N6888A (the "C" guy) and I am definitely not opposed to "cheap".
Frank Stephenson
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

I took a set of sheepskin covers I had for a sports car that I had to sell when my son was born. They fit the seats pretty well, but if I was going to show off the inside I would remove them--just don't look as neat. I do like sitting on them, even during the hot weather. George's covers sound like a great idea!
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
GAHorn

Re: sheepskin Seat Covers

Post by GAHorn »

planepilot1 wrote:George, thanks for the suggestion. Where did you locate the terrycloth covers you use in your plane? Frank N6888A (the "C" guy) and I am definitely not opposed to "cheap".
You can buy terrycloth at any large fabric store like Hancock's or Fabric world. You can dye it to match your interior with "RIT" dye.
planepilot1

sheepskin seatcovers

Post by planepilot1 »

I appreciate the responses to my question about the seatcovers. Thanks!

I bought a couple of large bath or beach towels @ Wal Mart and will give them a try over the next couple of weeks and if they work I will probably just use them on the LV trip, then maybe try the fabric store avenue.

Now George, you are probably giving me too much credit regarding buying the fabric, sewing it and dyeing it. I would probably end up with the worst seatcover award! Maybe I can convince Becky how good it would look if "she" did the sewing! We will see.

Frank
Frank Stephenson