Rough Flight

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

powder_special

Rough Flight

Post by powder_special »

I seem to have a shaking problem in my 51' 170A. Anywhere from 2200 to about 2400 it shakes, when I get it up to 2450 it smoothes out. I notice the shaking in the control yoke, and not in the entire aircraft. I can also stop the shaking by applying side pressure to the control yoke. I have newer style control yokes/shafts and a newer 172 style instrument panel. The movement appears to be coming from where the shaft goes through the instrument panel. Has anyone else had this type of a problem, and what can I do to fix it?
Thanks for the help!
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

My advice is to avoid operating the engine between 2200 & 2400! :roll:
(sorry,I couldn't resist that one!)

Eric
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

I think you are fighting a symptom. I believe it is a prop/engine vibration and it is showing itself to you in the yoke. If you think that it is yoke only than you should not fly the airplane because you are describing flutter! I don't believe this is the case. I believe you have what Bela fought which is a prop vibration. His was at a different RPM, but mine is different than both yours and his. Every prop and engine combination will respond differently but I think it'd be an easy fix with a dynamically balanced prop. Check the discussion about prop vibration.

Kelly
n3437d

vibration

Post by n3437d »

Howdy flyer, I had a simialr problem and recently had a dynamic prop balance. What a world of difference.

Formerly from Namp, ID there is a fellow that operates aroung the Cascade area that does mobile prop balances. His name is Arkovich. I do not have his number anymore but his flyers are in most of the Idaho FBO's.
Visitors are more than welcome. Stop by and say hello.