1948 170 Metalized "Ragwing" winshield replacement

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

echomike

1948 170 Metalized "Ragwing" winshield replacement

Post by echomike »

Neck deep in my first annual as owner of a metalized 48 ragwing. (N3821V, S/N # 18679) I am considering replacing the original windshield with the STC'd (no center strap) thicker unit discussed in the winshield thread on this site.
Any recommendations on sources for the windshield? Horror stories?
From just looking at the present installation (Interior completely removed) it sure appears that this will entail drilling out 30 or so rivets across the top of the fuselage between the wings. These rivets appear to be in the main spar. Does this really need to be done? Great Lakes Aero Products says the windshield just "slips in" and is held by a couple of screws with silastic type grommets to allow flexing/floating a bit. Anybody have info on time to install, techniques etc. Anyone know of a knowledgable experienced (on Cessna 170's) person in the Houston area that could relieve my ignorance on this problem?
This is a GREAT site by the way. Hi George, haven't seen you since the Kingsbury fly-In. I was the sunburned really dusty guy asking all the questions about that polished/red Classic of yours. Eric (Echomike)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hi, EchoMike!
You are in the lucky position of being near Cleo Bickford, TIC170A Historian. He's based at Dry Creek (just 3 miles NW of Weiser Airpark, and just beneath the Struk intersection.) He's listed in the Texas section of the Assoc. Directory, and is your BEST bet of getting that windshield question answered, etc.
Regards,
George
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Hi Eric,as I recall,3821V is a blue on white 48 model that sat on the ramp at Renton Washington for quite a while,then on the ramp at Camano Island Washington for a little while after that. I have a snapshot of it parked at Renton in March '99 in my "170 Gallery".
How's it doing? Seems like I talked to a fella on the phone back about 3 years ago who had kinda inherited it,Steve Knopp of P.Ponk Aviation at Camano Island was his uncle or something. Ponk was gonna give it the once-over then it was gonna fly away to it's new home somewhere.Was that you?
Boy,these old airplanes sure do get around don't they?

Eric
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

The windshield from L.P.requires replacement of the upper window channel. The original channel is u shaped, and must be drilled out and yes those rivets are attaching the fwd spar cap. Lp provides with their window a new channel that has a lip on it to retain the window and prevent fwd motion. Most reinstall with # 6 screws and nuts. The hard part is fitting the window. The objective is to match the window to the wings, on lower and upper surfaces and on both sides. Another manufacturer (great Lakes ?) uses a different attach system and does not require channel replacement. I believe you attach the window top with 3 screws, but right now I'm guessing and I'm sure someone out there has done that proceedure.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

My Cee Bailey replacement last Winter used four bolts in the top channel to hold it on and eliminate the center strap. I found these to be no problem to install and they do not leak. Yet. They have a rubber washer on the outside and are just snugged up, not really tightened. I bought the new windshield second hand from a member and HAD TO PAY Cee Bailey $25 for the STC that should have come with the windshield in the first place. Watch out for that if you go with that company. I hear that their windshields fit better than other manufacturers and indeed it fit really good. Any "no strap" windshield should be 3/16ths inch thick and you need to add 5 lbs (I think) to the W&B.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180