Speed

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Re: Speed

Post by cessna170bdriver »

flat country pilot wrote:
larryrbutler wrote: It will fly coast to coast and have fun doing it. 8)

Bill
I've crossed the country several times in my 170, but my fun meter drops into the red somewhere toward the end of the second day. That puts me about halfway across Louisiana from here. After that it's more like work. 100-knot airplanes are better cross country airplanes for those who have way more time and like to fly way more than I do. Dad was happy as a clam in his Stearman at 80 knots and 13 gal/hour. But didn't give a flying [flip] whether it took 3 days or 3 weeks to get somewhere.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Miles is right. The 170 is great to fly - but, if you are planning a multi-day cross country try to limit your flight time to 6 hours per day - basically two three hour legs, or just under 600 miles per day. Two three hour legs really results in an eight hour day with fuel stops. I found that I Iike to have time on the ground to speak to the local pilots and look the airport over. If you take some time, when landing at the little airports across the country, you will be surprised at the wonderful characters to get to meet. The prairie areas are generaly the worst for long days - up and down drafts rob your ground speed from you and by the end of the day you are ready to stop. Long cross countries can be difficult, but if you have not done one in a small airplane you are missing one of the great joys of general aviation.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
flat country pilot wrote:
larryrbutler wrote: It will fly coast to coast and have fun doing it. 8)

Bill
I've crossed the country several times in my 170, but my fun meter drops into the red somewhere toward the end of the second day. That puts me about halfway across Louisiana from here. After that it's more like work. 100-knot airplanes are better cross country airplanes for those who have way more time and like to fly way more than I do. Dad was happy as a clam in his Stearman at 80 knots and 13 gal/hour. But didn't give a flying [flip] whether it took 3 days or 3 weeks to get somewhere.

Maybe it comes with age.....ya think Miles. Anyway that's what I hoping for

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Robert Eilers wrote:... If you take some time, when landing at the little airports across the country, you will be surprised at the wonderful characters to get to meet. ...
Dad was a lot better at that than I am. He made friends about everywhere he stopped. I don't think he missed a Stearman convention in Galesburg, IL the 23 years he owned his Stearman. It was always a 2-day trip from Florida, and he made enough friends at his usual stopping places that he rarely had to stay in a motel. Once he once stopped for an overnight (in Indiana, I think) and a guy loaned him a completely restored to original 1949 Buick convertible to use for a courtesy car. 8)

W.J.Langholz wrote:Maybe it comes with age.....ya think Miles. Anyway that's what I hoping for
I'm hoping that with age will come retirement, and with retirement will come less of a dependence on keeping a schedule. Also, in my case at least, with retirement will come the ability to make one last one-way long cross country eastbound and establish myself within a day or so of everywhere I want/need to go...
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

The 170 isn't going to go faster than 140mph, and that's going downhill.

That's also my point. Squeezing another 5 or 10 kts out of a 170 doesn't compete with a 200kt airplane.

It's just a slow plane and that's part of the fun.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Robert Eilers wrote:.. if you are planning a multi-day cross country try to limit your flight time to 6 hours per day -... Two three hour legs really results in an eight hour day with fuel stops. ....
I agree completely. For long trips, Jamie usually packs a nice picnic lunch and we fly 3 hours and stop for fuel and lunch, emphasizing a liesurely pace. Three more hours, and a planned overnight at an interesting B&B, hopefully in an interesting locale (of historical interest if possible.) An entire day spent there, then on the 3rd day another pair of 3-hour flights and we're usually at any spot in the country we wish to be. Whenever necessary, we try to plan the first leg to be the longer of the two, as that is when we are freshest.

We added a 3rd day like this on our way to Kelowna, B.C., but that was an unusually long trip for us. (I think Miles must have a cast-iron gluteous-maximus. It may seem silly to mention this here...but it can greatly ease your trip if you will take a few minutes during trip-stops to perform some deliberate stretching excersizes.)

It may also be helpful for all to remember that some of us live on airstrips and are willing to host fellow-members. Remembering that hosts also have lives to conduct...advance notice is best...and limit your stay... :wink: (look in the Directory for an (H) beside the member's name.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mekstrand

Post by mekstrand »

I agree and enjoy taking my time when traveling with my family in our 170. I think it's important to keep it fun when traveling with kids or passengers.

Saying that....

I do enjoy the challenge of moving a light aircraft across the country in a timely manor. I fly a jet for a living so I really cherish the time I get to spend looking out the window actually flying something, and still getting where I want to go. This usually involves very quick fuel stops, inflight meals, and about 4 to 5 legs a day. I moved our 170A from MKE to PAE in 2 days in November (all day VFR) and most recently delivered an 85 HP C-140 from Seattle (PAE) to Minot, ND in one long day (Again all Day VFR). If you are willing to put in some time and fly smart, you can get surprisingly far in a slow airplane.