Tail Pull Handles

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Tail Pull Handles

Post by 170C »

Getting ready to do an install and wonder if there are any suggestions to make the pain less :?: I am going to be cutting some boards to support me so I am not laying on the control cables. Also wondering about the merits of installing with the provided rivets or using bolts? I have seen both used on members aircraft.

May need a volunteer to extract me from the bowls of the aft fugelage :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Re: Tail Pull Handles

Post by GAHorn »

Hire a kid from the A&P school. A small kid. Who knows how to rivet. :lol:

(I've never done this job personally, but according to one who has...he used thck foam padding instead of boards, which I imagine would better protect your aircraft AND yourself.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

I think the thick foam padding would be better too George. Any idea where one might find 6 inch foam padding? Foam padding will still put pressure on the cables when one lies on them. Totally agree on the kid, but don't know of any around here with the skills.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Academy has foam for use as sleeping bag pads in varying thickness. I've seen it up to 6 inches. A pvc sewer pipe cut lengthwise can make a "shell" to lay beneath foam/over cables if it's a concern for you, but I don't think it'll be that big a deal.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

I replaced several aft skins on mine. I went with the boards. Made a profile of the bottom of the bulkheads and screwed boards on top of those. You loose a couple inchs of working height but I was concerned using padding alone I might put knee or elbow dents in bottom skins. Also you are above all cables. But then again maybe you are not a 200lb fat bast_ _ _
mekstrand

Post by mekstrand »

I have installed these on my aircraft. If you plan properly you will spend very little time in the tailcone. I'm average size (5'11" and 190 lbs) and I didn't have any trouble bucking the rivets or drilling the pilot holes. If you follow the directions the whole installation shouldn't take a more than a couple hours at the most. You will only need a helper for the last 10 minutes for shooting the rivets.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Frank,
If you are planning on using "Wilke" buttons to cover the holes in the skin while the tail pull handles are stowed be carefull not to be to zellous when finishing the hole in the skin as the buttons need a slight raised edge to stay in place. (how would I know that :roll: )
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
907Pilot

Post by 907Pilot »

if you hold off for a day, I will get the contact info for the guy that installed the BAS tail handles on my plane. They are an absolute life saver and are a godsend.

I busted my knee twice the other day trying to manuever without them...
170C

Post by 170C »

907pilot--I won't be doing this project before mid-week at the earliest. I appreciate your input as well as that of others. I just wanted to seek opinions on the best/easiest way to do this job. One thing I am going to do is use my Tailmate to lift the tail up horizontal so I can manage to get back out once inside :wink:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

I am not familiar with the tail mate but make sure it will hold your weight also. If it fails while you are inside moving around you might have more work than you need. I use a heavy padded sawhorse under the t/w bracket.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Frank I did this one, so I know you can fit back there. Although it was some time ago, I believe the paperwork gives you an area to install the unit but its final location might be best decided from inside. I went in there with a small level, positioned the unit, picked up the flange holes then drilled the big handle holes on either side based on where the centre of the small holes were located. I would use foam to support your weight or find a young sheet metal student as George suggested (usually they come with better eyesight). One thing is for certain you'll like the addition to your plane.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Frank,
What a surprise! I thought you were married. I used to have a tailmate back before I was married but my wife would never
allow me to use that term.
BL
170C

Post by 170C »

Well Dick me tailmate's nice and Yellow, but don't tell Becky :lol: I use the Tailmate to lift the tail up to whatever level needed for the job to be done, then put a saw horse with padding under the bulkhead aft of the baggage compartment. That seems to support the plane pretty well. I usually leave a bit of tension on the tailwheel too unless I am working on the tailwheel, spring, etc. I sure would hate to have it fall off of either. Rumor has it one of our members had their plane fall off a barrel and he mentioned that was something not to be done again :mrgreen: Still looking for a source of 6" dense foam at a reasonable price.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
4583C

Post by 4583C »

170C wrote: Still looking for a source of 6" dense foam at a reasonable price.
Frank
Take that Tacoma on a tour of the Hood County backroads and find where some moron has dumped a couch on the side of the road and gather the cushions, when you get the handles finished deposit them in the airport dumpster. :lol: :lol: Why don't you take a picture of the "tailmate" and post it for all to see. Should cut down on the abuse you're taking. :roll: :roll:
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

What I use to raise my tail ( of the plane ) is a motorcycle air lift. It raises the platform about 32 inches making crawling around in the back much easier. I'm currently relocating the battery to the back ( bigger job than you would think ) and a level floor makes it much less tiring.
Scott.....53B