Estimated Value on this 170??

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2255D

Re: Estimated Value on this 170??

Post by N2255D »

gahorn wrote:OK...so... lesseeenow....

$6400 purchase, plus $hipping it home, plus $15K for an engine ovhl, $5K-$7K for paint $1K interior work, $3K-$5K for basic radios, and $5K for the wing recover/rebuild, plus $2K for an annual with deferred maintenance issues... and if the instruments still work (that T&B at least is shot and probably the pitot/static/altimeter/tach too)...makes this an easy $41,000 airplane by the time it shows up flying anywhere....ASSUMING nothing shows up during rebuild like cracked crankcase/sump/crankshaft or corroded wing-spar carry-thru or other wing internal issues... then another $5K can easily be added making it a $46,000 ragwing..... then that plexiglass probably needs replacement which is another $1500, and carb/generator is another $2K....and if those pancakes don't pass...toss in another $2K plus....can you imagine a $50,000 ragwing...?

George always the optimist.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Did I forget to mention the bullet hole? Actually I thought that was a touch Ol Gar would like complete with the RTV that was plugging up the enter hole. :lol:

George the pancake mufflers were in such good shape the likes you couldn't imagine. There was no cracking of the hot air baffling around them no tell tale signs of exhaust leaks. They had surface rust on the steal and the aluminum was aged but Ill bet they'll be goo for another 20 years if anyone like Leroy (my partner) is taking care of them.

The window plexi was all in good shape. This is one of the things I noticed looking at the windshield. The side windows were good enough that I didn't notice that they might need replacing. I believe the windows were covered while in the hanger/barn.

I agree with most of the rest of the cost assessment for most folks. No doubt he engine will be the big ticket item. Then the wing recover. The struts and any steel outside the plane need to be cleaned and painted now. But you wouldn't have to repaint the whole plane to fly it. A thorough cleaning and inspection and replacement of hoses and o-rings and probably control cables.

Lots of folks might want to change out the early tail wheel bracket, the early brake cylinders and the GoodYear brakes but there is probably a good 2-3 thousand hours left in this parts.

I'd think this plane could be airworthy without radios, if you can do ALL the work yourself for about $20k in parts, most of that to the engine. And when I say airworthy that is all I mean. No flashy paint no new parts just overhaul whats there. Still more than the plane will be worth but the owner will be in the good company of most of the rest of us who have more money in our plane than it's wroth.

Hey the plane did have a BRAND SPANKING new set of tires on it so that is one thing the new owner, and A&P by the way, won't have to buy. Just a shame they were only 6:00 x6 and not some really nice big LEGAL 8:00 x6. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well...cables/pulleys could be $3K....Not being the pessimist....but my point is for those
Who are considering getting into an airplane...unless the PROJECT is your primary enthusiasm it is usually a LOT better to find the pristine example and pay for it (and enjoy the use immediately ...because the ultimate cost is not all that different IMO.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

George you are 100 percent correct. You know being green this plane had me on the fence as to what direction to take when giving advice. It sure looked fast just sitting there. Now if it had been red, well there would have been no question what to do. :)

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:George you are 100 percent correct. You know being green this plane had me on the fence as to what direction to take when giving advice. It sure looked fast just sitting there. Now if it had been red, well there would have been no question what to do. :)
Well....it clearly wasn't faster than a speeding-bullet ...which should give owners something to think about... :lol:

Of course, in fairness...it is the POTENTIAL of this example that caused me to immediately imagine what it's restoration possibilities are...

But clearly...not every potential owner of a classic airplane is thinking restoration-projects like some of us are so-compelled. Some guys simply want to get into a flying machine that can carry 4 folks and not break the bank....and if that's the goal, then this airplane might can be fixed up and made to fly safely without spending the kid's college-fund. If the engine can be made to run smoothly, and the airframe can be gotten past a bare-basic annual inspection... it might be possible to get this thing flying along in uncontrolled airspace for $15K and outrun J-3 cubs, Chiefs/Champs, etc. and even have lights for the nighttime!

It just depends on what one wants. (It's just that seeing those radios, etc, ...the unmodified-status of this airframe caused me to immediately Imagine Oshkosh/Sun-N-Fun, etc.. I'm hopeless.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

If it's a basically unmodified ragwing, it might be about the lightest 170 you ever saw. I've heard some of them can carry their own weight in fuel, baggage and people.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

Was it purchased to rebuild or sell as parts?
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

jrenwick wrote:If it's a basically unmodified ragwing, it might be about the lightest 170 you ever saw. I've heard some of them can carry their own weight in fuel, baggage and people.
I don't see how that could ever be. Gross is 2200 and unequipped empty wt was right at 1180....leaving 1020 for the rest.
There may be others but the only airplane I know that on-average can typically carry it's own weight is a C-206. The one I owned had an empty weight of 1580 and gross was 3300.
3958v

Post by 3958v »

I doubt if it was the lightest as it carried 2 old radios one being the original with half of it being a remote under the dash. I am sure the old tube units were not light. I talked briefly with the buyer and tried to convince him to join the association. In that conversation he indicated that he intended to restore it. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

3958v wrote:...I talked briefly with the buyer ...he indicated that he intended to restore it. Bill K
Yaaayyyyyyy!!
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

I talked briefly with the buyer and tried to convince him to join the association. In that conversation he indicated that he intended to restore it. Bill K
3958v wrote:
...I talked briefly with the buyer ...he indicated that he intended to restore it. Bill K

Yaaayyyyyyy!!
I think this association could give him a one year membership for his effort.

Bill K
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
Bruce Fenstermacher

flat country pilot wrote:I think this association could give him a one year membership for his effort.
That idea on the surface seems like a good idea Bill. Problem is aren't we all preserving these airframes to an extent.

cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:
jrenwick wrote:If it's a basically unmodified ragwing, it might be about the lightest 170 you ever saw. I've heard some of them can carry their own weight in fuel, baggage and people.
I don't see how that could ever be. Gross is 2200 and unequipped empty wt was right at 1180....leaving 1020 for the rest.
There may be others but the only airplane I know that on-average can typically carry it's own weight is a C-206. The one I owned had an empty weight of 1580 and gross was 3300.
I didn't see the word "legally" in John's post. :wink: A 1200 lb 170 would fly easily at 2400 lb. (near sea level anyway); just don't write the FAA a letter about it after the fact. Now doubling the 1350 (+?) weight of mine, and you'd have a chore getting it off the ground. 8O
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Any guy that's as dedicated as that deserves more than a one year membership! Make him an honorary member until it flys.
BL
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Miles,
I think I'd be willing to bet that a 2700 lb. C-170B with a good stock engine could be readily flown on a cool day at up to a couple of thousand feet elevation off of long runway.
Look what Geraldine Mock did with a stock engined C-180.
BL