Rosen Sun Visors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

I'm sitting here reading STC #SA00871SE for installation of the Rosen Products cockpit sunvisor.

Cessna 170, 170A, 170B
Type cert number: A-799
Certification basis for alteration: CAR 3
FAA Approved drawing list: Number 9050-0118-013

The STC packet includes the installtion procedure and drawing for drilling and installing a A10K80 rivnut into the front carry thru spar. I can scan and post if anyone wants to see it.

I wholeheartedly agree that drilling higgeldy piggelty into a carry thru spar should not be taken lightly.
Larry Holtz

Re: Rosen Sun Visors

Post by Larry Holtz »

At an Angel Flight meeting during the Northwest Aviation and Trade show last year, someone from Rosen came in and offered Angel Flight pilots 40% off on the viseers. I bought a pair for my 48 and am just getting around to loook at installation. According to the intructions I am going to have to drill four holes in the forward spar to attach them. There are no existing holes to mount them. The rivnuts are pervided, but no specs on what size drill to use. Looks like a 7/32 should do, but I would experiment before drilling.
Also, I am not sure this is covered on "owner mantinance" and probably need an AE and a 337. Am I right??
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Larry, you might imagine holes in a spar are pretty serious. I wouldn't guess at anything. And yes these are installed under an STC. You will need an A&P with IA to inspect, fill out and file the paperwork.

Only preventive maintenance listed under Appendix A of Part 43 can be performed by a Private Pilot/ Owner- Operator.

There are no modifications listed as preventive maintenance. Here is Appendix A:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guida ... enDocument
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Preventive MX, etc.:
(11) Repairing upholstery and decorative furnishings of the cabin, cockpit, or balloon basket interior when the repairing does not require disassembly of any primary structure or operating system or interfere with an operating system or affect the primary structure of the aircraft.

Unfortunately the rule does not allow new installations, and even if the Rosen's replace (repair) non-Rosen existing sun visors, their installation cannot "affect the primary structure" such as the wing-spar...under the rules of Preventive MX.

However, ..if you install them NOT in accordance with the STC... in other words, if you can avoid any primary structure (say, install them onto spar-covers or door-post covers, etc that are not primary structure) ... then they might fall under minor alterations. (As non-essential equipment they are not required to be installed under STC, despite their mfr'r has obtained such certification, most-likely due to the alteration of the primary structure.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
907Pilot

Post by 907Pilot »

I can't see the pictures... is there any way someone can post a picture of these mounted? I just bought a set at the trade show for my '49 A
db99577

Post by db99577 »

Looking forward to my new Rosens also. If the day woulda been rainy, visors might not've crossed my mind. And the trade show 10% discount and free shipping here leaves fuel money to go try 'em out.
907Pilot

Post by 907Pilot »

the thing is... I can't see how they go around the v-brace?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Real pilots don't need no damn shades. They just squint!
BL
db99577

Post by db99577 »

That's the recommended alibi for tower controllers these days, I was squinting :oops:
907Pilot

Post by 907Pilot »

Well, I think I just figured it out. I had to take the panel off that is in the upper corners of the windshield to fix the seal anyway, so I took that off and when I did it I noticed that there must have been some aftermarket sunvisors of some kind on there at one point, but the mounting angle is completely incompatible with the ones that I got :evil: The only solution is to have someone install the Rivnuts so that I can use these things.

I drove around Lake Hood looking at the 170s there and didn't see these on any of them. Are they worth the hassle?
db99577

Post by db99577 »

Russel Smoot/Plane Maintenance is installing mine if he gets a opening soon, or at annual. After listening to Russ's install description, did not sound like a complicated operation for him. I did not memorize the procedure, as my tools and I decided use our time and talents making money for 100LL. Russ was super helpful with work I've performed in the past tho. Chugach Hangars on Merrill, 272-1177. Please forgive the assumption you don't know Russ.
db99577

Post by db99577 »

And talking with Russ in March, he wants a set of Rosens in his 170. So must be worth it for at least one long time 170 owner. Russ is a qualified "squinter".
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

My 170 is in now for annual and Dave at Northwest Aviation Center at AWO will install mine. About time I got it done, They have been sitting in the hanger for more than a year. After 10 years and 1000 hrs., I took the plane to a shop instead of "do it myself and the inspector dropping by for approvel" method. Time for a new pair of eyes. Probably spend more than the usual $100, but maybe they can find those oil leaks. I'm having fits trying to find them!

Larry
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:Real pilots don't need no damn shades. They just squint!
THAT'S what my old Hawker-Mentor (and QB-sponsor) Beryl Minard always told me! "Quit fiddlin' with those stupid shades and SQUINT, George! It 'll give you crows-feet and make the young-girls think that you've got EXPERIENCE !" :lol:

I learned more in flying a week with him than I did all month at Flight Safety.

(You two were twins in a former-life, bluEldr! He was the first owner of the '34 VLD in my hangar... trained in Ryans and flew Marauder' in the BIG ONE, slid a C-45 onto a snowy-hillside in N. Korea and hid from "gooks" for two days until a rescue helicopter found him, when he told the pilot he'd "might rather sit a while longer in enemy territory than to climb into that thing!" ... but the pilot handed him an IOU-note from Beryl's mess-mate for a drink at the OC... so he got on-board, claiming he'd be "dammed if I'll miss out on that bassard buyin' a drink!" ) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Like I said, squinting is the way to go.
BL