Continental Motors SIL 98-9

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Larry Holtz

Continental Motors SIL 98-9

Post by Larry Holtz »

I have my '48 in for annual and doing some much needed repair. I just got a call from the shop that the Inspector said that the last overhaul on the C-145 was more than 12 years ago so it should be overhauled. He indicated that he would sign it off this year, but it should be overhauled next annual. Maybe my head has been in the sand for a while but this is the first time I heard about the 12 year limit. There must be a lot of engines out there more than 10 years between overhaul. This is a different inspector than I have had in the past nine years. Nothing was ever mentioned before. Still about 400 hrs to TBO. Anyone else run into this?

Larry
HA

Re: Continental Motors SIL 98-9

Post by HA »

awfully swell of them not to require it this annual, why would it be any less "unairworthy" this year. this is not an AD so not required. If you were 135 with the airplane even then you could submit a plan with your FSDO to monitor engine condition and overfly the "manufacturer's recommended TBO".

tell your IA to read the regs and chat with his FAA mx guys to get straightened out. otherwise time to find a better one.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Larry,
Sic Mike Busch on your inspector, or at least read some of his writings regarding when an to overhaul an engine under part 91 (you are operating under part 91, if not the rules get a lot stickier).
Last edited by johneeb on Tue May 10, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Larry as others have indicated flying under part 91 there is no time limit to overhaul. You don't have to do it at 12 years, you don't have to do it at TBO.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

And beware other "squawks" this guy finds.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Larry Holtz

Post by Larry Holtz »

Thanks guys for your input. I talked to the mechanic, and got things streghtened out. It's great to be a member of this assciation.

Larry
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Larry,
If your mechanic doesn't know the difference between part 91 and 135, you may need another mechanic. There are several issues with AD's that don't need addressed if your not holding out the aircraft. (seat rails, bendix switch check, excreta). If your holding out for rent, the guy may have a point. And he may be just trying to cover your Butt.