Panel Upgrade

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ptporebski

Panel Upgrade

Post by ptporebski »

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1959 C-172 that I bought in June 2009. At the first annual I found a couple of items - mud dauber wasp nests all over the place, corrosion at the cowl/firewall lap joint, cracked spinner backing plate, and an unairworthy prop. Oh well, except for the prop nothing expensive. After posting here and extensively searching I was unable to find an eight hole prop for the O-300A engine so I have ordered a new one from Leading Edge in MT.

I also did a couple of upgrades. Added a Whelen strobe system, changed the nose gear strut which was badly chewed up. I need to thank one of our members, Dean Zinter, who graciously sold me his now un-needed nose gear strut after he converted to a C-170C. I also modified my floating instrument panel. I wanted to arrange the flight instruments into the standard six pack configuration. I also bought a new DG and had my AI overhauled (both by SigmaTek). I also mounted my new Garmin Aera 560 in a Gizmo mount. Doing this required several iterations that I had made out of plexiglas to facilitate clearance checks. I drew the panel on AutoCad so changes are easy. I was surprised how much engineering effort this took. Some of the clearances are 1/16" to make things fit. Here are the prototypes I made:
nsmail-1.jpg
Prototype Panel No 3 001.jpg
And here is the completed panel:
Completed Panel 001.jpg
I also had an issue with low vacuum prior to this upgrade. The old system (two 9" venturis) could not generate more than 2" of vacuum. After my AI & I leak checked/tested the system, I ordered two new 9" venturis from Aircraft Spruce. When they came in they had a spun flange on the downstream end. I cut off the flange as I concluded it served no purpose. I was correct; the system now pulls too much vacuum and I have installed a Rapco vacuum regulator to solve that. Now, Voila! A modern layout for an old airplane that works!
The better is the enemy of the good.
1959 C-172
GAHorn

Re: Panel Upgrade

Post by GAHorn »

That's a nice setup, and the use of acrylic for fitment/tests is a great idea. Clearly (wink) his took a lot of effort. :lol:

The AN 5807-1 Venturi design is an approved design. The lower-flange shapes discharge-air preventing turbulence within the tube, as well as to strengthen the outer-tube against deformation. I doubt you'll get a condition-tag for your alteration but you should be aware if it alters the venturi from it's approved design....

Correction of the vacuum system defects often result in the need for a vacuum relief valve as depicted in the Cessna instrument installation drawings, where the valve is in the list of required items. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

And an article with those pictures for our print publications would be GREATLY appreciated. Doesn't have to me complicated but maybe a few more details.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ptporebski

Post by ptporebski »

Bruce,

It's a straight tail 172 not a 170 so I assumed that the Assoc wouldn't be interested in an article. Besides, the guys will rib me to death about that funny looking wheel on the wrong end of the plane! : :lol:

But, if the Association is interested, I don't mind writing up something. After all the annual/upgrade/fixes only took me about 16 months for everything...
1959 C-172
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

What tool/tooling did you use to cut the holes in the 'plexiglass'? Is it acrylic, or lexan, or??? Inquiring mechanic want's to know. Thanks
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Bruce Fenstermacher

ptporebski wrote:Bruce,

It's a straight tail 172 not a 170 so I assumed that the Assoc wouldn't be interested in an article. Besides, the guys will rib me to death about that funny looking wheel on the wrong end of the plane! : :lol:

But, if the Association is interested, I don't mind writing up something. After all the annual/upgrade/fixes only took me about 16 months for everything...
Funny thing is I could tell from your description or photos what aircraft you owned. So it is applicable and appropriate for our 170s and would be an interest to members.

N2255D

Post by N2255D »

ptporebski wrote:Hello Everyone,

I have a 1959 C-172 that I bought in June 2009.
Way ahead of you Bruce. I could tell what airplane he had by the end of the first sentence in the first post. :lol:
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N2255D wrote:
ptporebski wrote:Hello Everyone,

I have a 1959 C-172 that I bought in June 2009.
Way ahead of you Bruce. I could tell what airplane he had by the end of the first sentence in the first post. :lol:

Some days Bruce and I eat chicken.
Other days -feathers. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

To be honest I was only looking at the pretty pictures. :mrgreen:

ptporebski

Post by ptporebski »

Del,

The prototypes are acrylic. Cut using a waterjet. Yes, had a problem with the acrylic chipping, but not too bad. The chipping/blowouts were unsightly and would have been unacceptable for anything other than fixturing/clearance checking. As I provided an AutoCad file the shop charge for cutting my acrylic sheet 1/8" thick was $35.

I flew the plane extensively last week and have decided to modify the panel. I want to get my instrument rating. However, I am 6'-2" and installed the Fiberlite system which recesses the instruments. My viewing for the VOR is such that I cannot see the radial I am on. I have to back calculate the radial from the opposite radial on the bottom of the dial. Since I am a math challenged engineer I have problems doing this and flying the plane at the same time :lol: .

I'm thinking of swapping the GPS and the VOR & tach. Put the VOR on the top, GPS underneath it. I purchased a yellow-tag King KX-155 with glide slope and King-209 GS indicator that I want to mount. I'll remove the working KX-170 radio that is comm 2 and replace it with the KX-155. Would like to keep the Narco VOR indicator too. But to do that I will have to get rid of the 3-1/8" tach and go to a 2-1/4" tach. I could either mount it in the spare space on the fixed panel (see picture) or re-arrange and cut a new panel. Currently, playing around with the AutoCad file to see what I can do. As I said earlier, I was surprised how complicated this got. It's crowded under those panels guys!! :o
1959 C-172
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

FAIR WARNING. The King 209 indicators can have the OBS knob on the lower right. Almost ALL other units have them on the lower left. I know because I installed a 209 with intentions on upgrading in the future if it ever dies (or if I decided EVERYTHING must be Garmin :wink: It's the only non garmin piece i've got). Now I have discovered the panel will have to be filled/welded/ regrinded... whatever it takes.... to fit a different one. No problems with it yet thank goodness!!!

Looking at your pictures, I see the knob on the lower left. Maybe it's a newer 209 than I purchased.
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762