Should be a Law Against This

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

Should be a Law Against This

Post by W.J.Langholz »

89536516.jpg
Most of the time I take my ribbing in stride about my nose wheel.....but this is TERRIBLE! 8O Now I can relate to your feelings about the 170

Be Safe and Remember All who have Served.

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
sfarringer

Re: Should be a Law Against This

Post by sfarringer »

At least it still has two wings, a round engine, and roll-up windows.
But what were they thinking when they put that monstrosity under the nose???????? :?:
Ragwing S/N 18073
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

W.J.Langholz wrote:
89536516.jpg
...this is TERRIBLE! 8O ...W.
It's not so bad... It looks like it was manufactured so that when it is correctly turned-over it wouldn't contact/hurt the nosewheelpant. :twisted:

(At least Beech retracted the gear, which should have been done to this thing.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

Well, it USED to be a perfectly good plane. What a shame.
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

sfarringer,

You asked "What were they thinking-----"

They were thinking "All right, you SOB, let's see you ground loop this one!"

P.S. Note round engine with mandatory oil spot on floor.
BL
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

It's a crime against nature to put a nosewheel on a biplane. :evil: That's all I have to say about that...
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
mit

Post by mit »

PLEASE DON'T MAKE ANYMORE LAWS! :cry:
Tim
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

LBPilot82 wrote:Well, it USED to be a perfectly good plane. What a shame.
Believe it or not, Waco actually designed it this way. 8O 8O (Waco N series, they didn't make very many.)
Ragwing S/N 18073
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

blueldr wrote:sfarringer,

You asked "What were they thinking-----"

They were thinking "All right, you SOB, let's see you ground loop this one!"

P.S. Note round engine with mandatory oil spot on floor.
I bet you're right!!
And it's just marking it's territory :lol:
Ragwing S/N 18073
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

It ain't leakin' oil!!!!!

That's just SWEAT from makin' all that horsepower!!!! :lol: :lol:
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I'm sympathetic to what WACO was trying to do with this. 80% of my flight hours are in tailwheel types, and I've never damaged an aircraft I was flying (been lucky a few times!). I briefly tried giving primary instruction in my 170, and I've given up on that idea for good. If the student owns the airplane, that's one thing. But if a student wants to learn to fly with me, I'm going to encourage him or her to find someone with a tricycle gear aircraft to learn in. It's so much an easier path to the license, and a safer one. Yes, a tail wheel makes you a more skilled pilot -- but let the student build some hours before trying it. Although tricycles won't do some of the fun things I do with tail-draggers, there's a good reason most aircraft have nose wheels.

A friend of mine was giving instruction to a 170 owner. They caught a gust, the airplane bounced, and when it came back down, the student was standing on the brakes. The airplane went on its back immediately, and was destroyed. No injuries, fortunately. But my friend observed that the instructor is pretty helpless in this situation. Hitting the brakes is such a natural reflex in a panic, and it's hard to pull their feet back off the pedals. (The student and his partners replaced the 170 with a 172, which my friend thought was a very good decision for them.)

One local instructor who does tailwheel endorsements prefers to do that work only in aircraft with heel brakes, because they're much harder to stand on. I think that's very smart.

I'm absolutely addicted to tail-draggers, but we should never forget that we're taking chances that tricycle gear pilots aren't.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
canav8

Post by canav8 »

jrenwick wrote:I'm sympathetic to what WACO was trying to do with this. 80% of my flight hours are in tailwheel types, and I've never damaged an aircraft I was flying (been lucky a few times!). I briefly tried giving primary instruction in my 170, and I've given up on that idea for good. If the student owns the airplane, that's one thing. But if a student wants to learn to fly with me, I'm going to encourage him or her to find someone with a tricycle gear aircraft to learn in. It's so much an easier path to the license, and a safer one. Yes, a tail wheel makes you a more skilled pilot -- but let the student build some hours before trying it. Although tricycles won't do some of the fun things I do with tail-draggers, there's a good reason most aircraft have nose wheels.

A friend of mine was giving instruction to a 170 owner. They caught a gust, the airplane bounced, and when it came back down, the student was standing on the brakes. The airplane went on its back immediately, and was destroyed. No injuries, fortunately. But my friend observed that the instructor is pretty helpless in this situation. Hitting the brakes is such a natural reflex in a panic, and it's hard to pull their feet back off the pedals. (The student and his partners replaced the 170 with a 172, which my friend thought was a very good decision for them.)

One local instructor who does tailwheel endorsements prefers to do that work only in aircraft with heel brakes, because they're much harder to stand on. I think that's very smart.

I'm absolutely addicted to tail-draggers, but we should never forget that we're taking chances that tricycle gear pilots aren't.
Excellent Advice John. I have found it easier to fix mistakes then teach primary as well. I will teach primary as a favor to someone but otherwise I teach transition. It is also alot less stressful as I am getting older. I have also found that it is easier to teach Helicopter pilots and Glider pilots believe it or not. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

canav8 wrote: I have also found that it is easier to teach Helicopter pilots.....believe it or not. Doug
So I'm glad to hear you thought that attempt was easy Doug. :lol: bounce :lol: bounce :lol: bounce :lol: aaaaawwww

Actually one thing that I learned and relearned and learned once again flying with Doug but would and could easily happen flying with anyone teaching, is that you shouldn't have any expectations of the capability of the pilot being taught. I tend to be drawn into this trap rather easily flying with folks I've watched fly other aircraft and assume way to much.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I helped one helicopter pilot transition to tailwheel (he already had a fixed-wing rating). Without being told, he stayed active on the rudder pedals all through the roll-out. He caught on very quickly, partly because he already knew what his feet were for. :lol:
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Teaching primary is tough, all right. I'm in the process of teaching my 15-year-old son to fly the 170. Like all kids he learns fast, but it took a lot longer for him to make decent landings than I thought it would. One day I realized that was because I wasn't letting him land the airplane. Every time he got close to the ground I'd pull the yoke or push the rudder, so he never learned anything. Once I got over my fear of heading for the weeds he made much quicker progress!