engine models

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

engine models

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

... So I asked them how much they'd charge to overhaul my O-300C engine to new limits.....and they wouldn't quote it stating they didn't know what a C engine was. (The ONLY difference between a C and an A is that the C uses the same crankshaft as the D which has only 6 prop bolts.)
So George, you have a 300C? I've looked in the parts manual and it does seem that you can use the D crank with the A case. So are what you saying is that if I replace the crank in my c-145-2 with a D model crank (which is dampened) and of course the prop, I'd have a 0300C and I could then use a 35 amp generator and a fancy Aeromatic Prop? What model prop do you have George, and what makes it legal on our planes?
This is all very interesting cause I need to upgrade my generator, I would love to find an Aeromatic prop, I have a friend with two Aeromatic prop hubs (6 bolt) and an extra crank and my engine is currently disassembled in his garage. My brain is churning :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, Bruce, this is slightly more complicated/convoluted that you might at first suppose.
I have a McCauley EM7355, which is the 6-bolt version of the MDM7655 (which was the standard prop for the 170, 170A, 170B airplanes.) The only difference is the 6 bolt rather than the 8 bolt attachment.
While the C/D crank will physically fit an A engine, it is not the correct pn, and will require some sort of approval basis. Ordinarily it would be used to convert an A to a C or D engine, which gets it's approval by TCM Service Bulletin (M75-6R1).
So, I'm not sure that a D crank is actually an approved subtitute part for an A engine. (But it would be for an A engine being modified to a D or C engine.) It's a technical diffrence, but also a legal one.
In my airplane's case, both the engine and prop installations were approved directly by FAA inspection and original issuance of an airworthiness certificate. As far as I know, it's the only such case. Ordinarily it would only be done by field approval.
Bruce Fenstermacher

While the C/D crank will physically fit an A engine, it is not the correct pn, and will require some sort of approval basis. Ordinarily it would be used to convert an A to a C or D engine, which gets it's approval by TCM Service Bulletin (M75-6R1).
So, I'm not sure that a D crank is actually an approved subtitute part for an A engine. (But it would be for an A engine being modified to a D or C engine.) It's a technical diffrence, but also a legal one.
So George what you are saying is that if I put a D crank in my engine and call my engine an A then I would need approval to do that but not to reinstall the engine in the 170 and I'd also have to have approval for the prop on the engine /plane .
Or
I could put the same D crank in the A case, call the engine a 0300C then get approval to put it on the plane along with approval for the prop which is what happened in your case.

...Now lets see maybe I can through a hot Corvair cam in there and get that approved while I'm at it. Just kidding but it would be fun to see the reaction by the feds to that request. :D

I've not been able to read M75-6R1 which you refer to to see if it helps either situation.

This has gotten just a bit more serious as I've just found out my crank needs to be cut .010 under.

BTW George, do the judges now your plane has a modified engine and prop? 8O

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep. They know. It's only one item demerit, which still keeps it out of the "custom" category. (But hey,...it's painted the correct color!) :wink:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Bruce

Why would you worry about a crank with a fresh grind to -.010? I'd rather have that with a new limits fit than a worn to service limits fit at standard size.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave I'm not worried about a .010 under crank but it does cost money. I'm looking at other options I might have to "improve" my plane so I can take advantage of other things that interest me such as the 35 amp Generator and the Aeromatic Prop, neither of which I could use on my C-145-2 with a standard or under ground crank. I should mention my current crank is not dampend which stops me from using those items and finding a good correct PN dampened crank could be difficult and costly. My friend already has the D model crank ready to go.

Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Oh I get it now!
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180