Enjoying Los AltosCA

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n3833v

Enjoying Los AltosCA

Post by n3833v »

I am going to be in CA :D for the next 6 days at my brothers in Los Altos and hope to fly on Sunday for a scenic flight. He is in the process of flight lessons and hopes to fly better than me. We leave San Carlos [SQL] and will fly the area. I don't know if Columbia [022] will be in our sights or not. Just going to enjoy the area. :)

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
falco

Re: Enjoying Los AltosCA

Post by falco »

columbia is a good day trip, one runway is grass, easy 10 min walk to historic gold mining town. a state park I think.
Flyfshr

Post by Flyfshr »

If you get a break in the marine layer, a flight up the coast to Shelter Cove (0Q5) is worthwhile. The runway splits a golf course that overlooks a cliff coastline. And it is walking distance to a deli with fantastic fish and chips.

Request the Bravo transition out of san carlos and you can get a great look at downtown and the golden gate bridge along the way.

Enjoy!
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

From SQL you are close to several very nice destinations. KHAF - Halfmoon Bay is just over the coastal hills West of SQL. A great place for breakfast at the 30 Cafe, or a short walk into town where there are several great little restaurants around the harbor - this time of year may be a problem. South of SQL is Watsonville and Monterey. Monterey is great day time destination. Fly into Monterey Bay Aviation and catch a cab into downtown Monterey where everything is a short walk. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is a great way to spend an afternoon. North of SQL is Petaluma and the 29er Dinner. Northeast about an hour away is Auburn and Columbia,which you have already heard about. Southeast of SQL is Hollister and Frazier Lake, which has a beautiful grass strip. The Ding-a-ling Cafe @ Hollister has a great Breakfast. Breakfast at Petaluma and then a flight to the Point Reyes sea shore and South down the coast to Watsonville is a very scenic trip. Come to think of it, there is a great little Cafe at SQL.

Watch out for Class B. However, with just a little planning you will find you can stay out of and below it. I definitely recommend the SFO TAC - VFR routes are clearly depicted and the NORCAL controllers are a good group of professionals.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey! All you Bay Area guys... Any of you ever eat over at Cliff House by Seal Rock?
One of the greatest breakfasts Jamie and I've ever had, with a tantalizing view of history.

After the fantastic convention at Tehachapi (Hosted by Miles and Karen Bowen), we flew over to Lompoc to visit my Aunt/Uncle and landed in the middle of the J-3 Cub convention. Two days later, we hugged the coastline at 500-feet all the way up to the Golden Gate (flew across Monterrey Bay in 1/4 mile/Fog about 100 ft above the water monitoring Monterrey tower freq...no one but us out there...even the sea gulls and pelicans were grounded/floating on the water. Boy were THEY surprised! :lol: ) Really a fantastic coastline-flight up the Pacific shore. I recommend that one! Saw lots of seals, otters, etc. on the way.

Anyway...as we rounded the shore-cliffs at the entrance to the Golden Gate, expecting to see the big orange bridge.... LO! .... It was completely covered in cloud! Only the tops of the towers poked above the summer fog. Despite all the corporate flying I've done out there....I'd forgotten about that!
As I was saying.... as we rounded the point at Seal Rock we saw that "little cafe" hanging on the cliff-side and decided we'd have to visit it while in the area, and it was no disappointment! Wonderful memory!

http://cliffhouse.com/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Flyfshr

Post by Flyfshr »

gahorn wrote:Hey! All you Bay Area guys... Any of you ever eat over at Cliff House by Seal Rock?
One of the greatest breakfasts Jamie and I've ever had, with a tantalizing view of history.

http://cliffhouse.com/
One of the best views to go with a bottle of Napa's finest.
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Well, I had the best tour ever. Went up over SFO and then to Candlestick
P1040494 - CANDLESTICK.JPG
, Golden Gate ,
P1040499- GOLDEN GATE.JPG
, Fisherman's Wharf
P1040515- FISHERMANS WHARF.JPG
,Cliff House
P1040523- CLIFF HOUSE.JPG
, and on our way to Half Moon Bay .