New cylinders

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

runerider

New cylinders

Post by runerider »

I have a C-145 that has 2000hrs TT and 600 SMOH. The engine had 100 hrs. in the last 31 years and the cylinder walls are rusty and pitted. Does any one have any suggestions on what type or brand of cylinder is the best replacement?
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang
GAHorn

Re: New cylinders

Post by GAHorn »

This is likely to turn into an opinion-fest like if you'd asked about which brand motor-oil. :lol:

Personally...if I were to order all new cylinders these days, I'd be inclined to go with new TCM steel.

Virtually all mfrs have suffered at one time or the other with difficulties, but TCM has seemed to solve theirs and others
are still ongoing. Just an opinion.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
runerider

Post by runerider »

Thank you I'll take any and all suggestions.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Are your cylinderw beyond limits to rework them?
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

What BL is pointing to is having your cylinders bored .15 over removing the rust and of course the rest overhauled as needed. This could be the cheapest fix and perhaps as good as new seeing how manufactures keep having trouble with new. I would strongly consider this if the cylinders were new at the overhaul with only 600 hours on them. If they have 2000 thousand hours that doesn't disqualify them for and they are probably good candidates for overhaul but the expected life would be less and that makes new cylinders a bit more attractive.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
KG

Post by KG »

deleted
Last edited by KG on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
53 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:What BL is pointing to is having your cylinders bored .15 over removing the rust and of course the rest overhauled as needed. This could be the cheapest fix and perhaps as good as new seeing how manufactures keep having trouble with new. I would strongly consider this if the cylinders were new at the overhaul with only 600 hours on them. If they have 2000 thousand hours that doesn't disqualify them for and they are probably good candidates for overhaul but the expected life would be less and that makes new cylinders a bit more attractive.
Here's a Mar 99 article on cylinders: http://www.amtonline.com/publication/ar ... &pageNum=1

Another alternative is good old "channel chrome" if your present cylinders are first-runs. I never had a problem with a good set of plain old channel chrome cylinders...and they don't rust. But I'd only do this on my engine if it were a mid-life engine and I was chroming my own cylinders which I knew their history, i.e., their total time in-service was known. The above article explains why.

J&J in Pleasanton, TX, and Sentry in Ft. Worth Sentry Aircraft Cylinders

My first choice:

J & J Air Parts
830-569-3891
jjairparts.com

My other first choice:
Sentry
2731 Ludelle St, Fort Worth, TX 76105

(817) 531-2729
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I've seen quite a few cylinders that appear rusted and pitted that are satisfactorily cleaned up by ball honing only. Pitting frequently looks deeper than it really is and it is sumwhat difficult to accurately measure the depth.
If a cylinder can be cleaned up with either type of honing, it is a lot less costly than grinding them out to fifteen over and having to get new pistons.
BL
170C

Post by 170C »

Various folks at Grand Prairie Airport (GPM) tell me that Sentry Cylinders in Fort Worth are no longer in business. I called their phone number listed on the internet and got someone's residential phone so I don't believe they are still open. I replaced my worn cylinders with ECI steel ones back in '99 and have been satisfied with them for 800+ hours.

As an aside, my plane is now hangared at Cleburne, TX Municiple Airport (CPT) for any of you that might be passing this way.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
runerider

Post by runerider »

The previous owner flew the A/C for @ 15 hrs on the engine after it had been run an average of just a few minutes a month in 31 years. The compression was in the high 60ties when I bought it. I used a pint of Avblend for the 4 hr flight home, drained the oil which was fresh when we started but looked like tar when we dumped the oil, did a compression check and the front two were in the low forties. I had the cylinders bore scoped that's when we found the rust and pitting. I haven't had the jugs removed, thats for latter on in the restoration. When I get them off I'll see if they can be used again. Thanks for the suggestions.