175 Wings

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: 175 Wings

Post by n2582d »

minton wrote:I think the 4.5 unusable per side was a type-O by the fuzz based on the C-170B number of 5 total. In real life it's less a gallon per side or so.
It may be less than a gallon in level flight but CAR 3 required that unusable fuel be determined under the most adverse conditions.
Unusable fuel requirements Click to enlarge
Unusable fuel requirements Click to enlarge
It seems to me that modifying the fuel outlet point(s) on the long range tanks to be more like the C-185 would significantly lower the unusable fuel that would be needed to meet the CAR 3 requirements. Maybe one additional fuel outlet in the rear of the tank would do the trick.
C-185 fuel lines
C-185 fuel lines
Last edited by n2582d on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The amount of "UNuseable fuel" varies between the 175 and the 170/172 because of the increased size/capacity of the tank.

Since unuseable fuel is that fuel which is not available in ALL normal flight attitudes of the aircraft ...i.e. takeoff/descent w/ full flaps (some of the fuel cannot reach the tank-exit in those attitudes).... the larger total capacity means a proportionately larger amount of unuseable fuel. The 175 had a total of 52 gas with 10 gals unuseable, leaving 42 gallons available in all attitudes. The 170/172 has 42 gals total with 37 useable in all attitudes. I have on two occasions re-fueled and managed to install 42 gallons. Don't ask when/where/why.... but you can probably surmise how. :lol:

However in level flight...virtuall all the fuel including the "unuseable" is still available and will continue to feed the engine. (Just avoid extreme nose-up/nose-dn attitudes.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
runerider

Post by runerider »

If it is just the gas to get out of the Idaho back country or some other remote place with strips but no gas look at the turtle pak 5 gallon jerry bladers.
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

When you're flying around in the back country, most of the flights seem to well less than an hour each.
The extra twelve (12) gallons supplied by the C-175 tankage will give you three or maybe four more short flights before you're down to your "Go out for fuel" level.
I've never been too wild about carrying cans or bags of fuel in the cabin, but, "To each his own!".
BL
minton

Post by minton »

gahorn wrote:The amount of "UNuseable fuel" varies between the 175 and the 170/172 because of the increased size/capacity of the tank.

Since unuseable fuel is that fuel which is not available in ALL normal flight attitudes of the aircraft ...i.e. takeoff/descent w/ full flaps (some of the fuel cannot reach the tank-exit in those attitudes).... the larger total capacity means a proportionately larger amount of unuseable fuel. The 175 had a total of 52 gas with 10 gals unuseable, leaving 42 gallons available in all attitudes. The 170/172 has 42 gals total with 37 useable in all attitudes. I have on two occasions re-fueled and managed to install 42 gallons. Don't ask when/where/why.... but you can probably surmise how. :lol:

However in level flight...virtuall all the fuel including the "unuseable" is still available and will continue to feed the engine. (Just avoid extreme nose-up/nose-dn attitudes.)
The same tank exists in the C-172 long range wing and the unusable fuel is 3 gallons total. Same exact wing/fuel tank/fuel feed design as the C-175. Check the TCD's and the parts books. I had this exact arguement with the Feds and having my ducks lined up I won. They got it wrong on the C-175 TCD which caused the one time STC's on some aircraft to be wrong and who knows where else.
minton

Post by minton »

n2582d wrote:
minton wrote:I think the 4.5 unusable per side was a type-O by the fuzz based on the C-170B number of 5 total. In real life it's less a gallon per side or so.
It may be less than a gallon in level flight but CAR 3 required that unusable fuel be determined under the most adverse conditions.
unusable fuel req..png
It seems to me that modifying the fuel outlet point(s) on the long range tanks to be more like the C-185 would significantly lower the unusable fuel that would be needed to meet the CAR 3 requirements. Maybe one additional fuel outlet in the rear of the tank would do the trick.
185 .png

Another field approval is in order. :lol:
runerider

Post by runerider »

Operating out of confined areas, short strips, high density altitudes, barriers at the strip's end, with a sixty year old airplane with non self sealing tanks that aren't rupture proof doesn't sound all that safe to me either. Using a modern self sealing rupture resistance bladder secured in the baggage area that can be stored rolled up when it is empty weighing 3lbs is safe and a lot cheaper and easier than the hassle of changing tanks or wings. Were there any cabin fires or explosions with the javelin system? "but to each his own!"
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang
minton

Post by minton »

runerider wrote:Operating out of confined areas, short strips, high density altitudes, barriers at the strip's end, with a sixty year old airplane with non self sealing tanks that aren't rupture proof doesn't sound all that safe to me either. Using a modern self sealing rupture resistance bladder secured in the baggage area that can be stored rolled up when it is empty weighing 3lbs is safe and a lot cheaper and easier than the hassle of changing tanks or wings. Were there any cabin fires or explosions with the javelin system? "but to each his own!"
You forgot the front lines in Iraq :lol: :lol:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

minton wrote:
gahorn wrote:The amount of "UNuseable fuel" varies between the 175 and the 170/172 because of the increased size/capacity of the tank.

The same tank exists in the C-172 long range wing and the unusable fuel is 3 gallons total. Same exact wing/fuel tank/fuel feed design as the C-175. Check the TCD's and the parts books. I had this exact arguement with the Feds and having my ducks lined up I won. They got it wrong on the C-175 TCD which caused the one time STC's on some aircraft to be wrong and who knows where else.

Actually... the IPC is misleading...as they are NOT the same identical tanks. Here's the part no. listing. (The Figure does not show the specific diffs.)
fuel tanks.JPG
fuel tanks.JPG
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

Well George,

You are right. They do have different part numbers.

I have found many of the same items throughout the industry with differing part numbers only to be found to be the same part. Probably sells more new parts that way. Or maybe it has to do with the FAA approval process. Who knows. :lol:

The tanks we are refering to are also the same dimentionally and structurally in every way. I have one of each model here on my work bench for a comparison.

I have been working in the field for some 40+ years and can figure some of this really complex stuff out such as compairing items when placed side by side. Other things maybe not. :lol:

At any rate the thread is regarding C-175 wing substitution. This can and is being done. Sometimes with better success than at other times.

I only chimed in to offer my paperwork up to those who wanted to accomplish the modification with maybe somewhat less hastle and more usable fuel. Not a who's more right contest.

Have a wonderful day.
n3410c

Post by n3410c »

Guys, your reading to much complexity into how unusable fuel was evaluated. For our one-time STC we used the structural engineering report outlined on the STC, that we put together, along with part catalog excerpts and previous approved 337's. So the question was and is: How did we come up with our unusable fuel number? It was the easiest to get approved by the FAA, i.e. 37 gal's was and is already approved for the 170 and switching to 175 wings would and will be similar and obviously better. So what was completed in the end was placarding the fuel caps and valve to reflect this.

I don't think it would be that difficult to expand on the usable fuel or to get 175 wings on a 170B. The trick to the whole thing is that a FSDO is not going to help you get anywhere on a project like this. You need to go straight to the ACO who will then tell you to contact the nearest available DER. Hope this sheds some light on how this was assembled when we did this back in 2008. Willie Stene
minton

Post by minton »

Unusable fuel: Fill tanks, Go fly until engine quits on first tank, Switch to other tank, go land and fill empty tank, take note of number times two, subtract total advertised volume of both tanks= unusable fuel + or - :lol:
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

minton wrote:Unusable fuel: Fill tanks, Go fly until engine quits on first tank, Switch to other tank, go land and fill empty tank, take note of number times two, subtract total advertised volume of both tanks= unusable fuel + or - :lol:
Go fly until the engine quits when you're in a nose-down descent with full flaps, i.e. a simulated final approach, then after the engine has quit, execute a go-around. :wink:
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
minton

Post by minton »

Yeh! :lol: :lol:
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

minton wrote:Unusable fuel: Fill tanks, Go fly until engine quits on first tank, Switch to other tank, go land and fill empty tank, take note of number times two, subtract total advertised volume of both tanks= unusable fuel + or - :lol:
I may have told this story here or not? ? ? I bought a '61 C175 in El Monte CA some years ago. Dea Babe and I worked three days getting it cleaned up, new tires, new battery, rebuilt the nose strut, put on the Cleveland Brakes and got a ferry permit to fly to Payson Arizona. There it got a new headliner, new seat covers and carpet. We flew several hours around AZ and really enjoyed that. I scheduled a trip from Payson to Toledo Bend and planned one fuel stop. I hadn't really done a lot of investigation into my fuel burn but with the larger tanks I just let it go. The morning of my departure, my grandson took me to the airport. Sunrises in Arizona are sometimes almost as spectacular as their sunsets and this morning was a great one. I asked Chris if he wanted to see this area at sunrise and so off we went - - I estimated we flew around for less than an hour but who thinks about that when surrounded by such grandeur. Anyway I said my goodby to him and headed for El Paso area.

Cruising along at 11500 msl, I turned east just north of El Paso, over the Franklin Mountains park and proceeded down the TX NM state line. I circled around a wildfire on the top of one of the big flat top mesas and then headed on east. I had a bought a Lowrance GPS in California and was having a ball messing with it. Some of my ground speeds were over 150 mph! I had some grub with me so munching on my sandwich, I am really enjoying this flight. I had intended to make the fuel stop at Midland or maybe Big Spring but making the miles click by at around 140 -150 i am thinking about further east. I had picked up a pre-ordered POH at the Cable Airport and scanned a couple of items. Noted "Fuel burn @ 75% was 10.5 gph. Well that turned out to be ooompah. Now as you'all know any Cessna later than our '56 170s, including this 175, has electric fuel gauges. I finally noticed my right tank showed more fuel than the left so I thought just to make certain I would switch over to the fullest tank, fly it empty then see whether I could stretch out to Abilene.

Well I did that and within 30 seconds, I nearly choked on the last of my sandwich when the engine died! The silence was deafening! That lying little gauge never moved but the silence told me that tank was bone dry. Praying loudly, I switched back and breathed a sigh of relief when the gas guzzling engine started making power. Now I was really on pins and needles. If the tank showing fullest was empty what did the other one have left. Was this guzzler gulping much nearer 15 than 10.5 ? How long have I been flying this morning? Two hours? Three? Didn't make any difference I need to get some GAS ! The GPS became my savior ! I punched in "Nearest" and up came Winkler County airport - - 55 miles ! Oh boy! In all my time in airplanes those were the longest 55 MILESI have ever flown ! Out of 10.5, I made a cruise decent direct to that airport, did a straight in to the nearest runway and put in 49 gallons! That is one of those "Never Again" that turned out OK except for the pucker string that took a couple of weeks to get loose.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!