Turning radius

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Turning radius

Post by GAHorn »

Actually, if you paint your airplane RED, at cruising speeds it will have a greater radius-of-turn than if you paint it green.

But if you don't paint it at all....Since the dihedral of the 170B and the 175 is the same.... and beside the fact that dihedral has no measureable effect on radius of turn..... :roll: .... if you want 175 wings on your airplane, then visit your local FSDO office and get their inspector's advice on how to proceed....and do not concern yourself about unduly altering your airplane's "turning radius" ..... (Advice from someone who at age 63 is considered by some young aviators as an "old timer"....but my dog "Roulette", who I'm told at 14 is equal in age to a human at 98, pretty much ignores most everything I say these days. There are many otherwise good people who share my dog's opinion.)

Dogs are color blind.

(I am moving this thread OUT of the MX LIbrary to a place it belongs.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
54170b

Post by 54170b »

Bruce, I noticed you had l-19 wings on your 170A, and this was done by some sort of cessna replacement list?
And I think a silver airplane will have a tighter turn than a green one.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

54170B you might want to check out the DelAir fuel tank conversion which increases the tank size of the stock 170A or B tanks to either 50gal. or 60 gal. depending on which you want. It might be worth having your wings rebuilt and treated with alodine or zinc chromate if you are going to operate on floats, you could have the STC conversions done at the same time and ultimately end up with a known quantity. Putting the 175 wings on will require the field approval to make it legal, and after after that it would really suck to discover you have some sort of a previously hidden corrosion issue on the 175 wings.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Jr.CubBuilder has made an excellent point.

The C-175 was notorious for filiform corrosion due to painting economy/shortcuts Cessna took with that airplane, and many of them also suffered internally. I've looked into four or five 175 wings and they all had white powder inside. (except the one that had been "bombed" with silver-paint in an effort to cover/hide the white powder... what a mess that one was!)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

gahorn wrote:Jr.CubBuilder has made an excellent point.

The C-175 was notorious for filiform corrosion due to painting economy/shortcuts Cessna took with that airplane, and many of them also suffered internally. I've looked into four or five 175 wings and they all had white powder inside. (except the one that had been "bombed" with silver-paint in an effort to cover/hide the white powder... what a mess that one was!)
The area you store your aircraft or where it has lived most of it's life (Humidity) has alot to do with internal corrosion as well how clean the innards have been maintained. The combination of dust build up and humidity is a deadly combination! I haven't noticed any C-175 specific corrosion issues up here in Alaska where the humidity issue is low.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

54170b wrote:Bruce, I noticed you had l-19 wings on your 170A, and this was done by some sort of cessna replacement list?
And I think a silver airplane will have a tighter turn than a green one.
Yes it had L-19 wings with B model flaps installed. It was done some time probably i the late 50s and 60s and not documented. In 2001 a letter from Cessna which describes wings that would be appropriate replacements was used to win approval for the previously installed wings. This was prior to the FAA making field approvals harder to obtain. BTW besides the copy of the Cessna letter which I gave the association, the association also has 2 other letters sent to two other people and used to obtain approval. So my letter was not a one of.

That particular 170 of mine was Red and Silver and indeed it could turn tight as slow as it tended to fly. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
54170b

Post by 54170b »

What was the stc for the larger fuel tanks? Because thats the whole reason im interested is because of the extra endurance. Bruce, do you have electric flaps?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Harry Delicker

Delair
2099 Wildcat Way
Porterville, Ca. 93257

559-784-9110

Harry sells an STC to add fuel capacity to stock wings.

No my plane did not have electric flaps. The entire L-19 flap mechanism, flaps, tracks and activation were removed from the wings and a stock manual B model flap setup installed.

54170b

Post by 54170b »

so since you have B wings on an a model, do you have any dihedral or is it just flat like the A?
Bruce Fenstermacher

54170b wrote:so since you have B wings on an a model, do you have any dihedral or is it just flat like the A?
It has B model struts so it had dihedral. it also had a B model elevator so essentially it was a B model. However I do know of a B model which has A model struts and therefor no dihedral. I only say it once and only a few minutes to talk to the owner as he was packing to leave. He, knew they were the wrong struts and as one might imagine, was a bit shy about talking about it. He did say it flew fine and didn't elaborate.

On my plane the B model struts were not specifically approved per the paperwork and so I always thought it would be cool to swap them out with the shorter A model struts and fly with no dihedral. Just another thought of many I have that I will only think about and wonder.

russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Keith of course is totally correct in his description above.

It goes to show you just because someone is an old pilot, it doesn't necessarily mean he knows what the hell he is talking about!

Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...