Three Landing Gear/ Gear Box Questions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

EZFlap

Three Landing Gear/ Gear Box Questions

Post by EZFlap »

In studying the 180 landing gear box parts I got from a junkyard in Canada, and after researching a few steel landing gear failure analysis papers, I have three questions or for the forum experts... thanks in advance. Your assistance will result in more/better/cheaper PMA replacement parts in the field applicable to 170's.

First question... There are shims that get tightened into the gap above the landing gear leg, in the outboard "slotted" gear bulkhead. These shims are obviously there to take up any up-down play or wear after years of landings. Clear enough. But there are no shims at the forward and rearward edges of the slot in the outboard bulkhead. So any play or wear at the front and rear of the slot would simply get worse, and allow the gear leg to move fore and aft. in the slot, with the gear leg "rotating" around the inboard vertical attach bolt.

So my question is whether the Cessna design simply relies on a tight fit as you slide the gear leg into position, and allows the edges of the steel gear leg to pound on the edges of the slot. Or is there some shim or other "centering device" that I did not get in my goodie box form the junkyard?

Second question for those with experience... if you were going to make up a new gear box for the 170/180, what would you do different than Cessna did?

Third question. Can anyone on this forum provide me with accurate dimensions and/or a copy of the drawings for the late 170 "Lady Legs" and/or the early 180 gears? I know I can ask Cessna for the drawings and they will either tell me to pound sand or pay a large amount of money. I'm tryin' to get around that problem without too much re-distribution of wealth :mrgreen:
If you can't judge a book by it's cover, why are hardcover books more expensive?
minton

Re: Three Landing Gear/ Gear Box Questions

Post by minton »

yes, but you'll never make that many landings to wollow it out / Keep the shims tight :lol:

No/Just allow good pilots to "Mildly" abuse it and it will hold up.

Just pay the money and buy Titanium :lol:

Oh Yeh, I got the cheep

:lol: :lol: Just my opinion
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I recommend you email Jim Hayton at Jim@northsoundaviation.com and/or talk with Tom Anderson at TD Aerospace.
Gary
EZFlap

Post by EZFlap »

Thanks for the replies. I have indeed spoken with Tom, he's very knowledgeable, and we are trying to work together if possible. But in the interim, I'm also wanting to solicit additional opinions here. I'm sure there are several highly experienced people specifically with the 170 here.

Titanium is not nearly a perfect solution as many people assume. Over and above the cost, there are some stress/strain/fatigue issues that this material has. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a VERY experienced structural engineer who has earned his gray hair in aerospace. Steel is still the best overall choice when cost is considered. Carbon fiber is lighter and corrosion resistant, but it requires a much larger cross section for a given aircraft weight... a 170 gear would be an inch and a half thick and cost double.
If you can't judge a book by it's cover, why are hardcover books more expensive?
runerider

Post by runerider »

I talked with Jim Hayton in June and at that time he had a set of old style 180 legs. I don't have his # but it is here on the forum.
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

EZFlap wrote:Thanks for the replies....Titanium is not nearly a perfect solution as many people assume. ...Steel is still the best overall choice when cost is considered. Carbon fiber is lighter and corrosion resistant, but it requires a much larger cross section for a given aircraft weight... a 170 gear would be an inch and a half thick and cost double.
I am curious as to what your thoughts are regarding why you believe you can produce a gear better and cheaper than Cessna, considering that you've expressed your opinion they've already been producing thousands of them in the same material you presumeably expect to use to produce only a few.
This is not an attempt to be confrontational.... I'm genuinely curious as to what your thoughts are as to:
1: What your percieved market is....
2: for a landing gear similar in materials and design....
3: to one already available....
4: on an out-of-production airplane...
5: in an environment of increased costs and liabilities....?

What are you thinking about? and how does your imagined product excel beyond that already available? (Mind you...I'm all for "more/better/cheaper PMA replacement parts in the field applicable to 170's." ... the proposal with which you opened this thread. But I'm puzzled as to your inquiries, and the reluctance to obtain genuinely-valid engineering data from the mfr'r by someone planning to undertake such a serious project which clearly will have limited appeal, market, yet great risk.) :?:

By the way.... without engineering drawings it is difficult to imagine which measurements might prove helpful to you. Simple thickness, length, hole sizes are unlikely to prove useful. What you likely need is detailed profile measurements....yet any such measurements taken from a gearleg in the field is no guarantee that the measurements are valid because you don't know the history of the gearleg measured or or the damage history of the sample, or the airworthiness of the sample, or the accuracy of the tools/techniques of the person taking those measurements. As an indicator of the problem.... I have a set of such gear legs from a wrecked airplane. They have been heated, straightened, and returned to what the previous owner thought was "serviceable". I consider them only useful to make knife-blades out of...perhaps for sale at a gun-and-knife-show. But I guess if you go visit Ebay you can obtain a similar set and convince someone to put them on an airplane. ) :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

Yeh, What George said :D
avoight

Post by avoight »

As to your second question see the PPONK website. Billet gear angles rather than extruded and an awesome beef up kit (unless you run through a serious ditch and REALLY tweak things).
'59 172 TD 220 Franklin mod, Horton STOL, ABI 26" mains, Baby Bushwheel TW and some other stuff...
EZFlap

Post by EZFlap »

gahorn wrote:
I am curious as to what your thoughts are regarding why you believe you can produce a gear better and cheaper than Cessna, considering that you've expressed your opinion they've already been producing thousands of them in the same material you presumeably expect to use to produce only a few.

What are you thinking about? and how does your imagined product excel beyond that already available?

But I'm puzzled as to your inquiries, and the reluctance to obtain genuinely-valid engineering data from the mfr'r by someone planning to undertake such a serious project which clearly will have limited appeal, market, yet great risk.) :?:

By the way.... without engineering drawings it is difficult to imagine which measurements might prove helpful to you. Simple thickness, length, hole sizes are unlikely to prove useful. What you likely need is detailed profile measurements
No confrontation George, I'm glad to discuss this. Helps me greatly and keeps me honest with myself.

Forgive the length of this response, I want to provide detailed answers.

What I'm thinking is this - Cessna makes a gear leg, and prices it according to their corporate pricing structure,which is designed to support a huge bloated bureaucracy, a thousand secretaries, worker's compensation, handicapped person fire exits every eleven feet in the factory, vice presidents of meeting scheduling, etc. They also price their gear leg based on liability insurance for a large company, and Cessna's insurance carries with it the hundreds of times Cessna has (unfortunately) been the target of a lawsuit. I have none of those issues.

Any lawsuit of any size will bankrupt my little one-man company within the first 30 seconds probably. Any insurance I carry will be a lot less expensive than theirs. I have no advertising costs. I have no significant business overhead. I have no debt to service. I am not contract bound to a large dealer network, who will be adding their markup on to any parts. In short, I don't need to make anywhere the amount of profit that they do.

Therefore, it appears to me that I can make a reasonable profit and still sell a quality gear leg for less than Cessna can.

As far as quality or design, Cessna has made almost no changes to their gear boxes ever. Cessna used extrusions because they were cheaper not better. They were originally designed for minimum time and effort and manpower, for efficient mass production. I do not believe maximum service life, or maximum damage resistance was in the top 3 on their list. I have the ability to make these gear boxes out of CNC cut billet, which means I am not restrained by the two dimensional "linear" nature of extrusions. That means I can put more meat where there needs to be more meat.

Cessna switched to tube spring gear years ago, so they logically don't have any strong impulse to improve the flat spring gear boxes for older airplanes.

My parts will indeed have limited appeal. I have no delusions about selling hundreds and hundreds of them. But my market would be partly the tailwheel conversion kits that need parts, and (since they will work as replacement parts) partly the needs of people rebuilding or repairing damaged aircraft.

I am not reluctant to spend a little money where it is needed, I am reluctant to over-spend or spend money where it is not necessary. Spending $500 on a copy of a drawing, when I can measure an existing (good) part for a six-pack and lunch conserves my pitiful cash reserve for other uses.

The profile (cross section) of the Cessna gear leg is, I believe, rectangular. It is .6875 inches (nominal) thick until 1961 or 62 if I am correct. I do not think they tapered the thickness of the gear legs... from an engineering perspective they accomplished the same result by tapering it in planform, which saved them a lot of money and time when they built the part. This is completely consistent with Cessna's cost philosophy of the 1950's.

Basically I do not think I'm any smarter than Cessna. Not by a longshot. I'm just in a unique position where I can make a buck in a small niche, providing an aftermarket improved part, the same way people make aftermarket versions of certain stock parts for Honda's, Chevy's, etc. Chevy can make 1956 Corvette exhaust manifolds by the millions, but there are still headers and tuned exhausts that have a market.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

EZFlap wrote:...... - Cessna ...a huge bloated bureaucracy, a thousand secretaries, worker's compensation, handicapped person fire exits every eleven feet in the factory, vice presidents of meeting scheduling, etc. They also price their gear leg based on liability insurance for a large company, and Cessna's insurance carries with it the hundreds of times Cessna has (unfortunately) been the target of a lawsuit. I have none of those issues.

Any lawsuit of any size will bankrupt my little one-man company within the first 30 seconds probably. .....
(Tongue-in-cheek-jest) ...So..... by buying genuine Cessna....we are supporting a lot of fellow Americans? :wink:

(Back to more serious response)... If Cessna charges you only $500 for the real-deal engineering dwgs.... Isn't that actually the best, most effective money you could spend to develop a FAA-PMA part? (You can't buy a single used/salvage gear-leg for "reverse-engineering" for that amt of money....and ad hoc measurements from unknown persons and parts in the field are unlikely to meet the "smell test" of any serious investigation from certifying authorities (not to mention insurance/liability lawyers.) :?:

And what might your "improved/cheaper" part sell for? As the owner of a certified airplane that carries my friends/family... would it be that much better than the genuine replacement article? considering the lack-of-depth of product and liability support?

(sub-discussion):
(BTW, this discussion brings to mind the common-complaint by some that FAA/certifying authorities are too "picky" or "bureaucratic" to deal with. NOT to imply anything about EZ-Flap's ingenuity...(and not wishing to discourage him or to change the subject)...but the discussion causes me to consider the FAA-PMA process where an underfunded, underengineered product produced in one man's garage is, by the FAA-PMA stamp-of-approval, lent the same legal-basis/credibility to compete against another more-deeply-engineered/supported product. In other words, isn't it in the better public-interest that the certifying authorities demand that "replacement" parts ...be, in every way, truly designed/engineered/tested/supported as TRUE replacements...not merely more cheaply produced parts that fit?)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

First question... There are shims that get tightened into the gap above the landing gear leg, in the outboard "slotted" gear bulkhead. These shims are obviously there to take up any up-down play or wear after years of landings. Clear enough. But there are no shims at the forward and rearward edges of the slot in the outboard bulkhead. So any play or wear at the front and rear of the slot would simply get worse, and allow the gear leg to move fore and aft. in the slot, with the gear leg "rotating" around the inboard vertical attach bolt.
Possibly wrong but, the wedges are in contact and hold the gear firmly in place in the vertical plane as the ground loads would be transmitted through the vertical plane. Any movement here would cause fretting, wear, and ultimately dissimilar corrosion which can ruin an aluminum extrusion in short order. Would firmly fixing the fore and aft sides of the gear subject the fitting to cyclical expansion loads as the steel cross section at its widest point would expand and contract at a greater rate than the relatively narrow aluminum extrusion?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
rsharp

Post by rsharp »

Why couldn't those doing a tailwheel conversion using your STC use the gear box parts from PPONK?
http://pponk.com/HTML%20PAGES/landing_g ... ducts.html
Sourcing yellow tagged 170 gear legs is another problem however...

A buddy of mine, whose 1952 C-170B I instruct in, is contemplating a C-175 taildragger project, using the Stoots STC. He would specify it be built with the PPONK gear box parts and 180 gear legs from the start.
--
Rick
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I can't even begin to immagine that there will EVER be a market for anywhere near the number of C-170 landing gear leg units that would have to be sold in order for production to be economically viable. What with owners of C-170s converting to C-180 legs and all of the C-180s in the registry, why not build C-180 stuff instead? More commonality. You might as well go broke with a product with a larger market!
BL
minton

Post by minton »

blueldr wrote:I can't even begin to immagine that there will EVER be a market for anywhere near the number of C-170 landing gear leg units that would have to be sold in order for production to be economically viable. What with owners of C-170s converting to C-180 legs and all of the C-180s in the registry, why not build C-180 stuff instead? More commonality. You might as well go broke with a product with a larger market!
I'm with BL, There will never be much of a market. Given the developement costs of an STC I can't see him EVER recooping hims costs.

As an asside: The new user fees coming down the pike (In the congressional "hearing" phase) for aircraft owners/users is going to kill GA!! :(
EZFlap

Post by EZFlap »

gahorn wrote:
(Tongue-in-cheek-jest) ...So..... by buying genuine Cessna....we are supporting a lot of fellow Americans? :wink:

(Back to more serious response)... If Cessna charges you only $500 for the real-deal engineering dwgs.... Isn't that actually the best, most effective money you could spend to develop a FAA-PMA part?

and ad hoc measurements from unknown persons and parts in the field are unlikely to meet the "smell test" of any serious investigation from certifying authorities

And what might your "improved/cheaper" part sell for? As the owner of a certified airplane that carries my friends/family... would it be that much better than the genuine replacement article? considering the lack-of-depth of product and liability support?

the discussion causes me to consider the FAA-PMA process where an underfunded, underengineered product produced in one man's garage is, by the FAA-PMA stamp-of-approval, lent the same legal-basis/credibility to compete against another more-deeply-engineered/supported product. In other words, isn't it in the better public-interest that the certifying authorities demand that "replacement" parts ...be, in every way, truly designed/engineered/tested/supported as TRUE replacements...not merely more cheaply produced parts that fit?)
Excellent questions...
1) Buying from Cessna now transfers your wealth to China on one of their new products. How long do you think will it be before the 182 and Caravan are built there? If you buy any product from me currently, you are keeping your money in the American economy.
2) On a relatively simple slab of steel like a landing gear leg, what's wrong with an ad hoc measurement? An ad hoc measurement in the field is plenty good enough for the FAA or an IA to make a determination if a crankshaft or wing spar or propeller blade is serviceable or not.
3) The "genuine replacement part" for many British cars is a Lucas Electronics electrical component. The "genuine replacement part" for your light bulb is an incandescent filament. LED's are perfectly good improved performance replacements in most cases. If you are driving across country with your wife and kids, I'm pretty sure that you would be safer with something other than Lucas components in your MG. Progress happens :)
4) This is why there is a PMA approval process in the first place... so that anyone, regardless of their funding or 3 piece suit or engineering or facility can be guaranteed to produce a good part your family can fly with. If I meet the FAA's PMA approval in my garage, then I have met the FAA's standard the same way Cessna met it, or Univair, or anyone else in a clean room with lab coats. Having been through the process I can guarantee that they don't give a crap whether you are Univair or Boeing or one guy in a T-hangar. Either you can PROVE to the FAA how and why the 1000th part is as safe as the original or you cannot. To address something related, there are two ways to prove the original part is safe enough for your family. If you want to make an identical part without any new engineering data ("Identicality" certification basis), based on the idea that "mine is the same as Cessna's", you must submit a LARGE amount of proof and documentation showing that you are making it from the same material and the same process. If you want to change or improve anything, then you must use the "Test and Computation" cert. basis and PROVE to the FAA by hiring an FAA approved engineer (FAA-DER) that the proposed part is stronger or better etc. in addition to the usual PMA stuff with materials traceability and manufacturing process certifications etc. My DER is certified by the FAA to approve a new wing spar for the airliner used for your family vacation. My DAR is the one who approved the airworthiness and return to service on the DC-10 tanker fire bomber. My design engineer is a product of the old-school engineering apprenticeship system at deHavilland's in England (which makes today's engineering schools look like a $29.95 internet college degree). So I'm glad to say that even with my lack of engineering diplomas and letters behind my name... I am NOT under-engineered by a longshot :!: