Air-to-Air Photo Shoot

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

akviperdriver

Air-to-Air Photo Shoot

Post by akviperdriver »

I recently had the opportunity to get a photo shoot done on our airplane. We had to run over to the neigborhood municipal airport for fuel, and one of the other guys on our field was needing to do the same. Since we both have extensive formation flying skills in our background, and my wife being a professional photographer, we arranged for a photo shoot on the way to and from the gas pump. He got "shot" on the way there, and I got "shot" on the way home.

This was my wife's first time doing an air-to-air shoot... I think the results turned out fairly well! Her other work is viewable at http://www.scrappydoodlesphotography.com

Dog is my co-pilot... look in the back seat.

Hope you enjoyed them!
-Chris
Chris Perkins
N8122A '52 170B
CFI, CFI-I, SEL, SES
GAHorn

Re: Air-to-Air Photo Shoot

Post by GAHorn »

Looks GREAT, Chris!
I really like the color. And the landing lights. :P
You got enough antennas on it? (I counted seven and still not sure I got 'em all.) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Luv them BIG tires. :)

Nice shots.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
db99577

Post by db99577 »

Nice pictures.
And thanks for the good idea. I like your idea of moving the "shooter" between planes on the same trip, instead of planning two different trips.
Would there be a little canine anxiety if you put your brown co-pilot in the other plane?
Dwayne
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

Since someone already brought up the subject of your tires, what size are those?
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Those tires in that picture just above kinda makes it look like a flying Bull, don't they.
BL
akviperdriver

Post by akviperdriver »

Alright, okay... lots of questions to answer.

Our dog Remy has flown with us in the airplane since he was nine weeks old. He loves to fly! When I go start the plane up for maintenance runs, or just a couple hops in the pattern, he gets frustrated if he is NOT in the plane. He thinks he is going to miss out on something epic... We got him some ear muffs when he was about 6 months old. After about 30 minutes of trying to convince him that they were a good thing, my wife had the idea of putting him in the airplane, starting, then putting them on. Viola! He figured out what they were for. Now, all I have to do is break out his ear muffs and he gets excited. Of note, after we land, and I shut down, I open the door, tell him he can get out, and he'll get out, then take off his ear muffs like a pro. He's flown in other planes as well, and so long as they look like a 170, he's fine with it :D

The tires: the tires are Air Hawk 29 x 11-10's, paired to an Alaska Bushwheels 11" tailwheel. Yes, this is an Alaskan plane, currently residing in SW Texas. I have given much consideration to replacing them with standard size wheels and tires, because there are not many opportunities to maintain currency in off airport landings in this part of the country. Something like 97% of Texas is privately owned, and I've heard people are prone to shoot at trespassers near the border these days. If I do go back to standard size, these will NOT be for sale.

Antennas: Yes, lots! And I even removed the ADF...

As for the bull... I'm not seeing it. Maybe you can help me out with that?!?

I've convinced my wife that she needs to post the full portfolio of the photo shoot on her web page. She may also post the pictures of the Mooney as well. I'll let everybody know when she does, and how to find it.

-Chris
Chris Perkins
N8122A '52 170B
CFI, CFI-I, SEL, SES
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Chris,
Is that a Sportman stol kit and how did you get the VGs approved to use with the stol kit?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
akviperdriver

Post by akviperdriver »

So,

My wife did upload the photoshoot to her portfolio. For those of you who use Facebook (I don't, she does), you can check out just the Cessna photo's and like the Facebook page at : https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#! ... 612&type=1 She says to "like" the page if you like the pictures.

She put 55 pictures encompassing the whole photoshoot, including the Mooney, on her main page. I won't be offended if you want prints :P I think we're going to order at least one of them on a 16x24 canvas. Check them out at: http://scrappydoodles.zenfolio.com/cessna_mooney

I think I'm going to keep encouraging her to explore other opportunities for air-to-air photo shoots... so, if you are in SW Texas and are interested, look us up!

Let me know what you guys think,
Regards,

Chris
Chris Perkins
N8122A '52 170B
CFI, CFI-I, SEL, SES
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

Awesome pictures! How big is your dog and what breed? Looks like he takes up the whole back seat! :D
Paul
N3458D
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

I declare PHOTOSHOP, neither of those pilots are actually as good looking as they appear in the photos! Also, what they failed to admit, is the dog does most of the difficult flying. :lol:
akviperdriver

Post by akviperdriver »

Counsellj,

Just because our 92lb Chocolate lab has flown your plane too doesn't mean he does all the flying. I've only got him checked out in the pattern... I still have to do the formation flying... maybe I should put a cat/rabbit in the other plane :lol:

Chris
Chris Perkins
N8122A '52 170B
CFI, CFI-I, SEL, SES
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The state of Texas Owns millions of acres....much of which is open for public use, including aircraft.
I've landed on some of it in West Texas. Check out Big Bend state park.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
akviperdriver

Post by akviperdriver »

That sounds like something I definately need to look into! I've also heard somewhere that navigable rivers, up to the high water mark, are considered public use as well. Does anybody know more about that?
Chris Perkins
N8122A '52 170B
CFI, CFI-I, SEL, SES
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

akviperdriver wrote:...Something like 97% of Texas is privately owned, ...-Chris
gahorn wrote:The state of Texas Owns millions of acres....much of which is open for public use, including aircraft.
I've landed on some of it in West Texas. Check out Big Bend state park.
Wikipedia says the total area of Texas is 268,581 square miles; 3% of that is approximately 5,156,755 acres. 8O

(Yes, you're absolutely right, I DO need to get a life.) :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne