More Tailwheel Bracket Trouble

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Harold Holiman

Re: More Tailwheel Bracket Trouble

Post by Harold Holiman »

Air Repair, Inc. in Cleveland, Mississippi, contact number is 662-846-0228.
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
BlakeinAlabama

Post by BlakeinAlabama »

Can someone tell me what number 31 does in the diagram?
Blake Mathis
Huntsville, AL
BlakeMathis@yahoo.com
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

BlakeinAlabama wrote:Can someone tell me what number 31 does in the diagram?
They are bolts that hold number 29 in place.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Looks to me that the #31 bolts hold the #30 wedge shaper spacers in place.
BL
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

That too. And don't forget the #32 nuts, they hold them in place as well.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
BlakeinAlabama

Post by BlakeinAlabama »

Where can I get the 2 little slanted pieces that 31 go thru on each side?
Blake Mathis
Huntsville, AL
BlakeMathis@yahoo.com
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Unfortunately, I believe you will have to buy the whole bracket for those pieces. I do not think they sell each individual piece. I will not tell you the price since you will have a coronary but if you mention your 170 Association member status, a discount will be applied. Good luck. I just looked at a 170 in CA for a prospective buyer and the tailwheel bracket was cracked on that one as well. Guys dont protect the tail when they fly these things.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

When you buy the bracket from Air Repair the wedge blocks are assembled with the bolts through them. Don't know if Air Repair will sell them separate but they would be my first call.

The next call I'd make is to a local machine shop and have the blocks made. The are pretty simple wedges used only to provide a parelled surface for the bolt and nut to tighten to. I could probably provide dimensions and a photo if you go this route.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bat443

Post by bat443 »

BlakeinAlabama, if you pm me a mailing address I will send you a pair off a damaged tail wheel bracket I replaced. I'll pick them up at the hangar today.

Tim
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

canav8 wrote: Guys dont protect the tail when they fly these things.
How do you protect the tail when you fly? Mine just kinda follows me around when I fly.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

minton wrote:When installing the new parts, reference the parts manual for the correct "U" bolt orientation. Some install "U" side up, which is wrong, "U" down is correct. Incorrect installation causes issues with cracking of the "U" bracket.
John,
I’m confused by your remark here some years ago. The “U” bolt, p/n 0510000-32, (fig. 29-6), is shown in the IPC with the legs facing up and the stiffener, p/n 0510000-33, (fig. 29-9), on top of the spring retainer channel. Are you saying the IPC illustration is incorrect?
9DECF2EB-BC86-4876-82AD-08D2823A1DDE.jpeg
Gary
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

Gary,

That is a bit confusing, but I believe he means the bottom of the U is down, as it is shown in the Parts pic. Here is mine, put back the way it came off.
Attachments
IMG_1587.jpeg
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Thanks Bill. The way you have yours installed is the only way I’ve ever seen it but I read John’s entry to say that the “U” should be installed facing down. Semantics I guess. :?
Gary
sgrimsley2717

Post by sgrimsley2717 »

Cracks in the tailwheel mounting bracket #0512154-1 on the lower corners, where the U-bolt is positioned, are common for 170's operated in Alaska. This area gets much scrutiny at inspection time as I found out when I lived there. My plane was missing the aft tab on the channel #0510000-31 when first inspected there. I had to replace the channel and accessing the two forward bolts required me to take the tail down to lift the horizontal stabilizer. A nut plate would have made this job so much easier. There were no cracks in the lower mounting bracket because I didn't have the standard U-bolt installed. When I purchased my plane back in 1985 it had a homemade clamp that used two AN-4 bolts and nuts with two thick aluminum plates cut to fit at the top and bottom of the tailwheel spring mounting bracket. I have never seen another 170 with a clamp like the one on my plane. No IA or A&P has objected to my plane having this customization and I have left it on the plane without any problems whatsoever. The U-bolt attached as pictured by Cessna puts an excess load at the points where it rounds the corners on the lower side. Spreading this stress out over a larger area makes cracks here less likely. If you want to stay with the U-bolt you may want to consider turning it upside down to have the stiffener on the bottom. This photo isn't great but shows my tailwheel attachment with the custom clamp. Steve Grimsley N2717D Vermont, USA
Attachments
Tailwheel custom clamp
Tailwheel custom clamp
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

sgrimsley2717 wrote:Cracks in the tailwheel mounting bracket #0512154-1 on the lower corners, where the U-bolt is positioned, are common for 170's operated in Alaska. This area gets much scrutiny at inspection time as I found out when I lived there. My plane was missing the aft tab on the channel #0510000-31 when first inspected there. I had to replace the channel and accessing the two forward bolts required me to take the tail down to lift the horizontal stabilizer. A nut plate would have made this job so much easier. There were no cracks in the lower mounting bracket because I didn't have the standard U-bolt installed. When I purchased my plane back in 1985 it had a homemade clamp that used two AN-4 bolts and nuts with two thick aluminum plates cut to fit at the top and bottom of the tailwheel spring mounting bracket. I have never seen another 170 with a clamp like the one on my plane. No IA or A&P has objected to my plane having this customization and I have left it on the plane without any problems whatsoever. The U-bolt attached as pictured by Cessna puts an excess load at the points where it rounds the corners on the lower side. Spreading this stress out over a larger area makes cracks here less likely. If you want to stay with the U-bolt you may want to consider turning it upside down to have the stiffener on the bottom. This photo isn't great but shows my tailwheel attachment with the custom clamp. Steve Grimsley N2717D Vermont, USA
At one time probably 20 years ago I replaced the "U" bolt set-up with two thick aluminum plates and AN-4 bolts myself and no problems since. I had to replace the same channel as you did, but managed to insert the two front bolts through the rudder cable slots where they exit the fuselage. It took some patience, a few choice words and phrases however...With a long quarter inch drive extension, a universal, some electrical tape to stiffen the universal, thick grease in the socket to hold the bolt, and someone shining a flashlight through the opposite rudder cable exit it is possible. And a magnet on a cable to retrieve the bolt each time it falls out of the socket. And some more choice words...