Franklin Conversion: Should I?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

grizzly71

Post by grizzly71 »

I am one who sold a nice light '54 180 w/ a few mods for a nice light 170B w/ the 220hp conversion. I would never go back. If you convert, you will likely sell your cub, as your converted 170 will outperform it. Good luck!
170C

Franklin Conversion

Post by 170C »

One can get a lot of flying from an new engine or overhauled engine as long as parts are available. Just read an article in AOPA PILOT on the Stinson 108-3 and learned that PLZ (PZL or whatever) has suspended production of the 220 hp engine and, according to the article, some Franklin parts may become hard get down the road. Maybe someone will pick up the mfg rights to resume production of the entire engine or parts, or maybe not. Could get stuck with a LEMON! I have heard of the performance claims of vrs conversions and I have no doubt that a 170 with a 220hp Franklin will equal or match a 180 in speed or climb. However remember that 170 was designed for a 145 hp engine. You might be pressing the limits of the airframe at some point while the 180/185's were designed for the increased hp. I don't think I would feel too comfortable putting a 375 hp engine on a 185 just because it could possibly fly as fast as some other airframe that was designed to be powered by a 375 hp engine. No doubt a lot of conversions work well. I have one myself, but remember once converted, it will always be a conversion. Just my opinion.
spiro

Post by spiro »

Recently stumbled upon this regarding Franklin 220's (in Stinsons):

Interest in this conversion increased when the PZL-Franklin engine went into production in Poland and was available at attractive prices in the US. Recent corporate changes (as of July 2003) have put future production of the PZL 220 Franklin engine into question. The July 2003 issue of Stinson Plane News, the newsletter of the International Stinson Club, reported "With the apparent demise of the PZL-220 ... our options for continuing with the Franklin line look fuzzy at best." Gregg Horrell of Ryan Aero Services in Tuscon, Arizona is familiar with PZL 220 installations in Stinson and Cessna 170's. In a posting on the Fearless Aeronca Aviators mailing list on August 28, 2003, Gregg had this to report: "The Franklin engines are currently out of production after P&W of Canada bought PZL and shut down the small engine division. Plans are in the works to sell that division to interested companies (rumor has it ECI is one of the bidders)".