Where to buy or repair Cessna cluster gauges?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

j3pup

Where to buy or repair Cessna cluster gauges?

Post by j3pup »

Can anybody point me to where I can buy or have repaired my Cessna cluster gauges? In my newly purchased 210, my cluster gauges are a mess. The oil temperature needs tapped to work, the amp meter gauge is intermittent, and both fuel gauges don't work. (Could be sending units too) At any rate, I need to do something about the gauges, and I am not sure how to attack obtaining repaired ones.
GAHorn

Re: Where to buy or repair Cessna cluster gauges?

Post by GAHorn »

Fuel gauges must have a proper ground in order to work.
Ammeters get "jumpy" when they have an intermittent ground.
Does this sound like perhaps a problem they may share? (Check for instrument panel grounding to airframe and wing sending units grounds.)

It'd be my guess the oil temp gauge probably has physical interference with it's mechanism and is why it must be "tapped".

Once of the best instrument repair shops around for these type gauges is Air Parts of Lock Haven. They can repair most makes of gauges. 800-443-3117 or http://www.airpartsoflockhaven.com/c3.html
and:
http://www.airpartsoflockhaven.com/c4.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
j3pup

Post by j3pup »

Thanks George, I am sure you just saved me money and time (Again). Tearing out the headliner, gutting the interior and draining the tanks to install Monarch Caps this week. Once I have everything cleaned out/empty, I am going to start troubleshooting the grounding. I also read that I can test the resistance on the sending units with my meter, something like between 220-30Ohms, worst case Lock Haven is in my backyard.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm not sure but George might have meant Keystone Instruments also at Lock Haven. I'd check with Keystone first myself. They might actually be doing the repair for Air Parts of Lock Haven.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

j3pup wrote:I also read that I can test the resistance on the sending units with my meter, something like between 220-30Ohms
What model 210 do you have? The 210L had capacitance type fuel quantity measurement system, which requires special equipment to calibrate and properly test. Cessna realized that too many owners did not want to incur the expense associated with this type of system upkeep on a regular basis and so went back to the resistance-type system for M, N, and R models (those prior to the L models were resistance type as well).
--Josh
1950 170A
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Try Paul Malkasian at http://www.fuelsenders.com/ . He knows a lot, has a good reputation, and will spend time discussing problems on the phone.
j3pup

Post by j3pup »

Mine is an 1966 F model. I have the airplane gutted now and can at least see the wires and probes, saving the troubleshooting for another night.
j3pup

Post by j3pup »

Here is what I have found in case anybody is wondering.

Keystone Instruments Rebuild $135
Paul Malkasian $265 (And thats if you send him cores.)
Air-Parts of Lock Haven $170 (w core return)