Strut Cuffs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

johneeb

Strut Cuffs

Post by johneeb »

Looking for information on strut cuff instellation on 1953 170B. My struts have large cone shaped exposed rivets which look to interfer with the cuff instellation. Thanks in advance for info.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I have them and don't remember the rivets interfearing but you will have to drill/cut a hole or slot for the tiedown loop to go through. You will also have to slit the back of the cuff so that you can slip it over the tiedown loop and on the strut or you will have to remove the loop in order to slide the cuff down to inspect under it.

My plane had them when I bought it and if it were painted under the cuffs I'd remove a discard them. I find them an extra pain at annual time.

I don't think they do anything for speed either.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There were three methods of attaching the struts and their end-castings/forgings. Hi-Loc rivets (which you are describing), AN 426 rivets, and AN bolts. The AN bolts were only fitted to a few aircraft by the factory, although they are approved replacements for all the other aircraft.
Strut fairings were never original, and are point reductions during judgings, although some people like the more finished appearance. They are an additional expense when you buy them, when you install them, when you repair/maintain them, and when you annual the airplane because they must be removed for the inspection. They also contribute to corrosion because they encourage water retention.
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

George,

That was a little gray. How do you really feel?

And by the way - DITTO - to gahorn's remarks, right on!

Kelly