Tools to take on a trip

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Tools to take on a trip

Post by bagarre »

This may have already been discussed but Search didn't turn up any relevant threads.

What tools/supplies do people keep in their airplanes to plan for the unexpected?

Not really survival equipment (Does the Papa Johns iPhone App count as survival equipment) but more fix-it equipment.
Safety wire, duct tape, spare piston...that kind of stuff.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Tools to take on a trip

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

When i travel with either of my airplanes more than a few hours away from home I carry about 30 lb of tools. I've probably have enough to dissassemble just about anything. Swapping out a tire, main or tailwheel or dropping a valve into a cyllinder and reaming the guide and cleaning the valve stem are all within reason. In fact I've done the valve/guide cleaning away from home with a few borrowed tools and I'm carrying a lot more tools so that is well within reason.

I'd definitly have a few screw drivers, flat and Phillips tip, a knife, vise grip or two. Safety wire, cotter pins, safety wire pliers and a set of side cutters. A small 1/4" socket set with sockets to 1/2", adjustable wrench and open end wrenches from 1/4" to 5/8". Small ball peen hammer. Some vinyl tape and a roll of duck tape.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N3531C

Post by N3531C »

Don,t forget an assortment screws nuts and bolts etc. TAILWHEEL !!! TUBE!!! Aluminum tape is also very handy!
Scott
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

If you want to keep it light and simple: a pill bottle containing sheet metal screws for the cowling etc., including oversize screws, a 1/4" ratchet, extension, and 3/8" and 7/16" sockets, a screwdriver with flat and Phillips tips, a Leatherman tool, spare fuses, spare light bulbs, AA batteries for headsets. This is a bare minimum. On long trips I include a hose for draining oil, so I can do my own oil changes. If you have a spin-on filter, you might need an oil filter wrench as well.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Don't forget the Duct Tape!

I carry a small "mechanics" zippered tool bag (military issue). Inside it has 9 lbs of "stuff".

1. 8" adjustable wrench
2. multi-tool pliers (has wire cutters, and various blade-tools and knife)
3. 20" of .030 safety wire
4. few cotters of various sizes including one for the main axle.
5. tube patch kit (includes glue, patches, air gauge, spare valve core)
6. cheap Volt/Ohm meter and a few feet of coiled elect. wire.
7. small roll vinyl elect. tape
8. quality duct tape
9. foot-operated air pump ($5 from Wal Mart)
10. small socket set kit w/rathchet
11. 4-way screwdriver (has reversible shaft w/4 bits)
12. assorted screws, sm bolts, nuts, washers in pill-box.
13. two "space blankets" (these are foil-type which are folded into pocket-size and sell at WalMart sport-goods area for $1ea. They can make ground cloths or survival use for protection or signalling. Also two pocket-sized $1 plastic "ponchos" from same source.)
14. Old CD of bad music. (makes for a good signal mirror, complete with sighting-hole.) :wink:
15. BIC cigarette lighter and few inches of heat shrink and few tye-wraps.
16. Several H.D. 2-gal Zip-Lok bags (good for water, or carrying "stuff")
17. Marine aerial signal flare kit ( 3-parachute-flares, size of pack of cigarettes)
18. Cessna leaf-spring jack-pad.
19. Small toothpaste-tube of Orange hand cleaner.

I keep a roll of paper towels on board.

I already have a L.E.D. cigar-lighter flashlight, kept in the Cigar charger. I also keep spare reading glasses in the glove box.

(My leather flying jacket has an inside pocket in which is kept the 1911 .45-auto, chocolate-bars, nylons, and prophylactics.)

I'm set. :twisted:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George, what in hell are you planing to do. That leather jackets contents sounds just like WWII except you forgot the cigaretts.
BL
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

I do believe George is planning on having a good time in Vegas with that stuff.

After executing Wing Attack Plan "R."

Bomber pilots make history,
-Scott
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Good list, the only other thing I would add is a head lamp. They are invaluable and my eyesight is getting to be that I need it a high noon in bright sunlight
It's not done till it's overdone
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

gahorn wrote: (My leather flying jacket has an inside pocket in which is kept the 1911 .45-auto, chocolate-bars, nylons, and prophylactics.)

I'm set. :twisted:
Ne tirez pas. Je suis un Americna et je piloter un avion rouge.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:George, what in hell are you planing to do. That leather jackets contents sounds just like WWII except you forgot the cigaretts.
I don't smoke,
and I don't chew,
and I don't go
with the girls that do. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

So you finally admit it-----------------------You don't have a clue what your missin'.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Back in the Big War (WWII) we used cigaretts for any number of things other than personal smoking, like gasoline, whiskey, tires, and other rationed goodies. We of the pure of heart, used the prophylactics to protect the cigaretts from rain. The Colt 1911 was to keep pure of heart, what with all those overly excited young ladies at the sight of those silver Army Pilot wings.
DAMN! Those were the good old days!
BL
Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

"Survival kit contents check. In them you will find one .45 caliber automatic, two boxes of ammunition, four days concentrated emergency rations, one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleepin' pills, tranquilizer pills, one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible, $100 dollars in rubles, $100 dollars in gold, nine packs of chewin' gum, one issue of prophylactics, three lipsticks, three pair of nylon stockin's. Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff."

Bwah!! Best movie scene ever!
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Back in the olden days when my old Uncle Sam and I had a mutual working arrangement and I was assigned to Westover AFB in Springfield, Mass. when I returned from Guam. An item of serious concern was the replacement of the latex contraceptives in my personal emergency kit. Two years on Guam, I figured, was about the safe kit life of said items.
One of my first trips into town, in Springfield, Mass., was to refresh the supply. To my utter consternation, I found that the local pharmacists were unable to dispense any contraceptives. Massachuttes Law!
They did, however, happen to have an ample supply of prophalactics for sale which could, in an emergency, be used as a suitable substitute. I never ran into that kind of law when I was stationed in Texas a couple of times. I guess Texans were more fun oriented than the folks in Massachuttes where they were apparently having more of a problem with loathesome social diseases than unplanned pregnancys.

HOOK 'EM, HORNS!
Last edited by blueldr on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BL
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Back in the olden days when my old Uncle Sam and I had a mutual working arrangement, I was assigned to Westover AFB in Springfield, Mass. when I returned from Guam. An item of serious concern was the replacement of the latex contraceptives in my personal emergency kit. Two years on Guam, I figured, was about the safe kit life of said items.
One of my first trips into town, in Springfield, Mass., was to refresh the supply. To my utter consternation, I found that the local pharmacists were unable to dispense any contraceptives. Massachuttes Law!
They did, however, happen to have an ample supply of prophalactics for sale which could, in an emergency, be used as a suitable substitute. I never ran into that kind of law when I was stationed in Texas a couple of times. I guess Texans were more fun oriented than the folks in Massachuttes where they were apparently having more of a problem with loathesome social diseases than unplanned pregnancys.

HOOK 'EM, HORNS! ( MY OLDER DAUGHTER GRADUATED FROM tHE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS IN AUSTIN )
BL