new starter

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Luvjet

new starter

Post by Luvjet »

I would like to hear from those of us that have changed out the starter for a Sky-Tec or any other one out there. The stock ,I believe Prestolite, starter is still on there but getting old. It works fine but I'd rather change-out or overhaul this one before it gives out. My C-145 as you know is not just a bolt on. I like the idea of a lighter starter and that it wont fall down into the engine if it breaks. Should i just have this one o'hauled (increasing reliability) or go with something like Sky-Tec? Have a great time at the convention. Wish I was going.
Poncho73

Re: new starter

Post by Poncho73 »

I installed the Skytec on my 1948 two years ago. Great starter, no problems and no more oil leaking issue. You will need to grind off the steel shaft inside the accessory case for the starter to fit. This is a bit tricky but can be done.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I remain true to the original Delco-Remy/Prestolites. They have been around for over half a century, are still well-supported, cheap to repair, and reliable.
The new lightweights are all the rage...but require engine modification...sometimes create new problems all their own, and who knows where their support (if any) will come from in 20 years?

I recommend you overhaul your original, and obtain a new 5-roller clutch from Niagara.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Green Bean

Post by Green Bean »

Installed a Sky-Tec 10 years ago, and recently put one on our 160 cub. You lose 7 pounds of weight in the exchange and have quicker starts. Would never go back. Conversion is as easy as A B C.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aryana wrote:... the pull start will always be relegated to relic status for me.
Sorta like operating a 60-yr old "relic" airplane...right? :wink:

(I can imagine few things worse than a 60 year old woman wearing a thong.) 8O

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)