delete

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bagarre

Re: Where did you fly today?

Post by bagarre »

If you want a BirdDog, I have a friend in PA that has an Ector Super Mountaineer for sale.
Probably the best example of an L-19 out there.

He said he'd take my 170 in trade plus a lot of cash. I asked him how much cash he'd give me :wink:
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Well, it was yesterday now but Ina and I flew a CAP C-206 from Anchorage to Nome. It was another Alaskan adventure with great weather thru the Alaska Range following the Iditarod Trail thru Rainy Pass and good enough weather to get us all the way to within 12 miles of Nome before things went below VFR minimums. We asked for a Special VFR Clearance but had to wait on an Everts Air 727 to make his approach. We were finally cleared into Nome and were very glad to be here as conditions were lowering fast. Within an hour, Nome was closed with 1/2 mile vis and a 200' ceiling. It rained and the wind blew all night but it is beautiful today.

We'll be here for a week flying Coast Guard personnel up and down the Norton Sound coast to six villages inspecting fuel storage facilities before freeze-up. Hopefully the weather will hold for those flights. Then next weekend we head back to Anchorage.

Ina had never been to Nome before and she is duly impressed with the "rustic" nature of the town.
Flying into Wales, Alaska, westernmost point on the North American continent. You can see Russia from there. Diomede Islands on the left, Siberian mainland on the right.
Flying into Wales, Alaska, westernmost point on the North American continent. You can see Russia from there. Diomede Islands on the left, Siberian mainland on the right.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

I flew to Knoxville Downtown Island Airport KDKX in Knoxville Tennessee.

Nice field. Beautiful approach and friendly people.
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

Sunday I flew to Oxford Ms. KUOX from Decatur Alabama KDCU. Great little flight in the 170.
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
pdb

Post by pdb »

High lat.jpg
On Friday, a friend and I flew my 170 from Merrill Field in Anchorage up to Fairbanks to help out with a glider instructor clinic for the Fairbanks Squadron of the CAP.

This picture was taken on Saturday by an instructor candidate Ute Kaden. Its hard to believe it fall in the actic but still warm but on September 8, 2012 at lat 61N, the lift was good and a rainbow appeared over the active gold mining area near Fairbanks. Coming back Sunday evening we flew most of the flight with a ground speed of 130 mph, blazing past Mt. McKinley which was out in all its glory over the red tundra and fresh snow low in the foothills.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

Hilltop170 or pdb, I just finished working on an Everts DC-9 that had apparantly been sitting there in Anchorage for many years. The tail number is 935CA. Either of you familiar with this plane? Man that thing was in rough shape. The C check we did took over 4 months. Lots of corrosion to repair.
pdb

Post by pdb »

Fred... haven't seen an Everts DC-9 but a DC-6 landed while we were gassing up. Great sound and a nice slow approach for such a big plane, or so it seemed from my perspective,
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm having a senior moment....and cannot recall a Member/participant's name...who flies for Everts, including that airplane. He and his Lady (also Member) visited our Texas X-Mas parties two years in a row, including the one I hosted, and the one Jim and Lolly hosted.
(He gave me an Everts T-shirt which I keep in my treasure-chest!) :P

Someone help me with my memory! :oops:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Does anyone in Alaska know if Cliff Everts of Everts air Tankers is still alive? Back in about 1950, when I kept my Stinson L-5 on Weeks Field in Fairbanks, Cliff worked for Wein and was installing a Lycoming 180 in a Swift airplane. The sneaky devil married a delightful girl named Helen that I occasionally dated because she loved to dance.
BL
pdb

Post by pdb »

blueldr wrote:Does anyone in Alaska know if Cliff Everts of Everts air Tankers is still alive? Back in about 1950, when I kept my Stinson L-5 on Weeks Field in Fairbanks, Cliff worked for Wein and was installing a Lycoming 180 in a Swift airplane. The sneaky devil married a delightful girl named Helen that I occasionally dated because she loved to dance.
He was still alive last year and I bet he still is as he is one of the honorees of Alaska's living aviation legends at an event next month.

http://www.alaskaaircarriers.org/servle ... _2012.html
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B