Luggage/back seat tie down tip

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

aileron170b

Luggage/back seat tie down tip

Post by aileron170b »

I have always felt uncomfortable having anything loose behind the front seat of the a/p. To remedy that problem, for my trip to Idaho, I removed the back seat, then used the seat bolts and pushed them through one of two chain links (and a large washer), and resecured the bolts in the seat bolt holes. I secured my load with bungee cords criss-crossing from side to side and front to back. Worked beautifully.
Michelle
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I made up something similar. I used a machine screw the same thread as the seat bolt, a single link of sash chain ( tailwheel steering chain),& a hardware store D-ring at each of the rear seat attach points. Same effect as your idea,just maybe a little dressier looking.

Eric
hsjrev

Post by hsjrev »

What are legalities involved in flying without the rear seat installed? Will the feds have a problem with that? Do you need a new weight and balance form done?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

hsjrev wrote:What are legalities involved in flying without the rear seat installed? Will the feds have a problem with that? Do you need a new weight and balance form done?
========
A Form 337 should be prepared, with a new wt and bal and a revision to your equipment list.