oldest 170 pilot ?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

oldest 170 pilot ?

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Anybody know who the oldest pilot still flying a 170 ?

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
GAHorn

Re: oldest 170 pilot ?

Post by GAHorn »

Probably Dick Lemmon (blueEldr). He was flying before Pontius was a Pilot.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

As a matter of fact, I was a senior Captain when Pontius hired in as an "oiler" (Flight Engineer} trying o work his way up to a junior copilot job.

However, in view of my recently cessation of aviating, I can no longer claim being the most ancient aviator in the C-170 (or anything else for that matter).
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

blueldr wrote:However, in view of my recently cessation of aviating

BL, no aviator ever cesses aviating. True at some point their vast experience and knowledge allow them to gracefully vacate the right seat, take themselves off the active roster,and allow the younger wiper snappers a chance to gain their experience. But once an aviator, always an aviator, you have just reached the highest step a mortal aviator can take. I applaud you for reaching it and hope that I am wise enough to follow.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
BL, ......................... allow them to gracefully vacate the right seat.............................
Said like a true helicopter pilot..........
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

hilltop170 wrote:
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
BL, ......................... allow them to gracefully vacate the right seat.............................
Said like a true helicopter pilot..........
Like "military Intelligence", "good lawyer", and "amicable divorce"...... "helicopter pilot" is an oxymoron.... :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

blueldr wrote:As a matter of fact, I was a senior Captain when Pontius hired in as an "oiler" (Flight Engineer} trying o work his way up to a junior copilot job.

However, in view of my recently cessation of aviating, I can no longer claim being the most ancient aviator in the C-170 (or anything else for that matter).
Though these senior pilots have opted to vacate the pilots seat (left right and tandem) they can still give valuable tidbits on how to become an old pilot not a bold pilot. They can tell us about the flying qualities of aircraft we only see in museums, scenic places to fly such as the Aleutian Islands, density altitude at back country airports, and help keep our operating expense down by suggesting alternative part numbers that can be found at local parts supply stores or junk yards.

Knowledge gained over a lifetime make them an invaluable resource for conousrs of all types of alcohol, philandering, and suitability of a variety of vehicles from sports cars to scooters.

Let us not forget that they have earned the right to be very candid about their opinion of government agencies, regulations, moral and social quality of individuals in other aviation associations, and owners of some specific aircraft types.

Now I ask where would we be without the unbiased wisdom and wit of blue elder and others like him though I doubt there are many of this breed left.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Unfortunately, I became enamored with flying machines at an early age. In my early youth my mother wanted me to learn to play the piano, but I rebelled at the idea. Piano lessons were for girls. Much later in life I discoveed the great benefits of being a piano player in a bordello, and I've often cried myself to sleep over the lost opportunity.
BL
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

blueldr wrote:................................In my early youth my mother wanted me to learn to play the piano, but I rebelled at the idea. Piano lessons were for girls. Much later in life I discoveed the great benefits of being a piano player in a bordello, ....................
player_piano.jpg
player_piano.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 9082 times
:D
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

How young are you Blue?...Dad is 81 as of this September, Still has a third class medical...Yet usually doesn't act as pilot in command, unless I ride with him.
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

UHH, why are there porch lights on that piano?
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

FredMa wrote:UHH, why are there porch lights on that piano?
Because it is really dark in the Bordello where Blueldr plays!!!!!
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Brad,
I'm nine years older than your dad. Next May I'll be ten years older.
BL
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

No offence Mr Blueldr but I would like to bring the thread back to it's intended subject ......Is there a way I can search to find the oldest flying 170 pilot? Maybe in each state?

Any ideas?

W.

p.s. Blueldr I do enjoy all your stories....wish you would post more of them for us to read.......maybe W should make a trip to Kalifornya, eh :)
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

For CA, don't forget that Tom Hall (member #424) may still be flying a 170A, N9026A. However, at the last convention he flew to he and Martha were in a "nose dagger" :roll: Have to ask Duane Shockey to see if they still have the 170 as they usually are not on the forum.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.