Rigging issue?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

futr_alaskaflyer

Re: Rigging issue?

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

n2582d wrote:
Richard,
It sounds like your problem lay with the ailerons. But it seems strange that your plane flew level hands off before the rebuild using the same ailerons. Any idea why? I thought of your rigging issue when I ran across this old Cessna Service Letter which concerns the landing light on the SkyMaster. How good of a job did they do in rebuilding the landing light area on your plane? Is there any chance the lense cover is sticking up too much?
SL66-21.png
SL 66-21A.png
I don't know. Another winter with bungi wing covers? Uncareful handling of the aileron when the wing was being rebuilt? Who knows?

I did look at the landing light assembly - all seems ok there.
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
futr_alaskaflyer

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
Could it be that now the left wing is correct after repair but a bent aileron which was at one time compensating for a bad wing, is now causing this trim problem.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Been a long time since I posted, been busy. But my repair job to remove "dished" areas slightly improved but did not fully correct the problem.

So we pulled the ailerons and had them partially rebuilt on a jig last spring. She now flies most beautifully straight :P Your theory had to be the correct one.
Richard
N3477C
mit

Post by mit »

Good to hear from you Richard! Glad you are flying strait now! :lol: I put 60 hrs on since last Oct. New engine still feels rough to me! :? Pond froze over the other day. Getting ready for skis!
Tim
futr_alaskaflyer

mit wrote:Good to hear from you Richard! Glad you are flying strait now! :lol: I put 60 hrs on since last Oct. New engine still feels rough to me! :? Pond froze over the other day. Getting ready for skis!
Well the 170 is straightened out but I'm not :? Took summer off from flying while I worked down here in Michigan. Thinking of coming up in a few weeks to do something with her either fly her back down here, or...

I'll look you up if I come.
Richard
N3477C