How to Groundloop

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Brad Brady

Re: How to Groundloop

Post by Brad Brady »

All this reminds me of the flight Darrel, a friend of mine, about Dad's age, and I took down to Guntersville AL. It was 1992, and Dad had just finished his Nuieport 28. Darrel and I were chasing Dad in Darrel's 1956 172. Darrel had just received his pilots license, and was eager to make a real cross country. We flew Darrel's aircraft with 10% flaps and 2100 R's, just not to overtake Dad in the Nuieport. Of course, Mom in the car, was beating us to every stop...(In 92, Mom owned the left lane! :D ) Anyway, when we finally got to Guntersville, I was standing with my back to the airstrip. Darrel and I were talking, he all of the sudden said, "What maneuver was that?" As I turned around I saw a DR-1 Try-plane rolling down the runway. I said "what Maneuver"? He said," well he landed, spun the aircraft around 360 degrees, and kept going". I then realized I had just missed a ground loop.The Pilot had to be fairly good to catch it out the other end......Yet I'm sure there was "clean-up on isle two".....
Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

Brad Brady wrote:All this reminds me of the flight Darrel, a friend of mine, about Dad's age, and I took down to Guntersville AL. It was 1992, and Dad had just finished his Nuieport 28. Darrel and I were chasing Dad in Darrel's 1956 172. Darrel had just received his pilots license, and was eager to make a real cross country. We flew Darrel's aircraft with 10% flaps and 2100 R's, just not to overtake Dad in the Nuieport. Of course, Mom in the car, was beating us to every stop...(In 92, Mom owned the left lane! :D ) Anyway, when we finally got to Guntersville, I was standing with my back to the airstrip. Darrel and I were talking, he all of the sudden said, "What maneuver was that?" As I turned around I saw a DR-1 Try-plane rolling down the runway. I said "what Maneuver"? He said," well he landed, spun the aircraft around 360 degrees, and kept going". I then realized I had just missed a ground loop.The Pilot had to be fairly good to catch it out the other end......Yet I'm sure there was "clean-up on isle two".....
That would have probably been Frank Ryder. Was this the ww1 fly-in?

Sadly he died in a crash in 94 in Minnesota.
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

No it wasn't Frank. He was next to me...I know cuz Dad sold Frank his 28 the following spring. Yep the Minnesota accident was just that , a tragedy. A wonderful fellow, Some one I'll miss... Frank had a partner in his endeavors here in Dwight....Had problems with the partner and pulled out.....That was about twenty years before we knew Frank. It's funny how small the world rely is!!!!
Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

Brad Brady wrote:No it wasn't Frank. He was next to me...I know cuz Dad sold Frank his 28 the following spring. Yep the Minnesota accident was just that , a tragedy. A wonderful fellow, Some one I'll miss... Frank had a partner in his endeavors here in Dwight....Had problems with the partner and pulled out.....That was about twenty years before we knew Frank. It's funny how small the world rely is!!!!
I was a youngster back then and really enjoyed Frank and the museum. They still had the sign up at Guntersville as of a couple of years ago. I fly in there quite a bit now with the 170. I really miss that museum and all the old planes.
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified