Electrical switch for strobes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Gary

Electrical switch for strobes

Post by Gary »

Yet another question from a new guy. I searched the forum for switch suppliers and found nothing. I am installing wingtip strobes (whelen) under my mechanic's watchful eye. I ordered a pull switch from Spruce. It is an auto RV switch and my mechanic said it was not acceptable. I found some switches from Cessnaparts.com using part numbers from my Cessna parts manual. What switch should I order? There are lots of switches..... master, nav light switch, landing light (2 position I would think), and radio switch. Some of these are the same part number. I don't know which to order, or where to order it. Any suggestions and or suppliers would be helpful. Thanks, GARY 54' 170b N1909C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

How are you going to protect the circuit? How about a toggle breaker which serves both as the switch and the breaker. They are available from Spruce and other suppliers.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Gary

Post by Gary »

My mechanic mentioned a breaker switch. We didn't have time yesterday to take a look at it. So I don't know how big the breaker switch is or how well it will work. We did talk about adding another circuit breaker to the row of used breakers. We will have to add a mounting bracket to the row of breakers. I will talk to him today and take a look at what he has. How big is a breaker switch and how do they mount? The switches at Cessnaparts.com are a bit expensive ($23.04) when you have to add in the cost of the knob ($15.00). Thanks for the info. Gary
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Gary,
I replaced my pull type circuit breaker that was acting as a switch for my strobe with a switch type, the spruce part I bought was a w31x2m1g10
see it at http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... itbrkr.php
From experiance I have found that using a pull type breaker as a switch is a pain in the but and will not last as long.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks Vic, That might be the ticket. I do want a switch and not a pull off circuit breaker. I will see what Don (mechanic) has. That would save adding a separate circuit breaker, and a switch. Thanks, GARY
170C

Strobe Switch

Post by 170C »

There are many others out there better qualified to address this subject than me, so this is just my "opinion". I have Whelen strobes (wing tips & belly) & mine is operated by a 15 amp (I think) circuit breaker. It has been working fine for over 3 yrs. My suggestion is, "Don't go cheap on circuit breakers/electrical switches"! Saving $5-$15 isn't worth the possible problems a cheap switch or CB could cause you.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The W31 series of circuit-breaker/switches are an excellent way to control electrical circuits. You can buy them in all Amperage sizes from Spruce and others. If you don't like to buy cheap stuff, you can buy the exact same switch, made by the exact same mfr., from Beechcraft and instead of only $15-$28 each, they'll arrive in a Beechcraft plastic bag with a more impressive price of $95-$145. 8O
(Beech used them for virtually ALL their toggle switches in the A-model Barons and later aircraft.)