Gooseneck screen (fuel vent screen)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Gooseneck screen (fuel vent screen)

Post by GAHorn »

I was tinkering in the hangar and decided to clean up a bit, when I noticed the PVC tubing and filter-screen that I'd pulled out of my gallon can of TCP. (This device is part of the plastic plug under the cap and is down inside the can of TCP regardless of the size can you purchased.)
I'd removed that device because I pour my TCP into another container I use for dispensing the product directly into my tanks.
As I was about to toss the thing, I noticed that it had a small, stainless steel screen as part of it's pick-up tube. Without any difficulty at all I was able to use a fingernail and remove the screen and examine it.
It is shaped like a "top-hat". It is "U" shaped with a flat "brim" like a hat on it's open end. It is also an absolutely perfect press-fit into the open end of the fuel-vent gooseneck over the cabin. The "brim" prevents it's descent into the gooseneck.
It is an excellent insect entrance prevention device. It is almost invisible. And high-speed flight doesn't dislodge it, even if you forget to remove it during the preflight. :wink: (So, Joe, you'd have no worries about that at all!) :lol:
Vented fuel cap(s) will provide an alternate vent source should it become blocked in flight by a suicide-terrorist bug (or clogged by ice for those of you with TKS systems or pnuematic boots.) :roll:
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I use a piece of FAA-PMA nylon window screen held in place by a cable-tie on my gooseneck.

Eric