My '55 170B Project

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

JohnNielsen

My '55 170B Project

Post by JohnNielsen »

I would like to share the excitement of this project coming to flight by early summer 2013. It began with a clean, damage free 170B w/o engine. We bought a 65TTSN O-360, had the cyl ported and polished, made it light and pretty, added an MT 3-blade composite constant speed prop, C180 float kit, V-brace, 172 baggage door, extended baggage, skylites from a 152, Cleveland dual cyl wheels/brakes, Federal AWB wheel skis, Sportsman STOL and Honer tips. The entire interior/exterior was soda blasted, zinc chromated then interior painted with military surplus aircraft interior grey enamel. The seats were stripped, powder coated and covered with Ceconite, then covered by Sport Aircraft Seating. Interior got all new cables, pulleys, fuel and brake lines and seat rails. There will be no insulation or plastic interior parts..keep it light. The panel will have the minimum required instruments per the TCDS and engine STC. A Garmin 496 in a Gizmos mount along with full engine monitoring and 'glass panel' (Not for primary navigation use :wink: ) by Grand Rapids Technologies. 8.50 tires and a new Imron paint coat will disguise the utility interior.

Here are a few pics. More will be added to this thread along the way and the full story will be found in print sometime in the future.

Thanks for your comments.

John Nielsen
Attachments
Floors in, interior painted.
Floors in, interior painted.
Floor installed, ready for firewall.
Floor installed, ready for firewall.
New O-360 180+ HP engine
New O-360 180+ HP engine
Panel before...
Panel before...
Cleaned and primed body B4 paint.
Cleaned and primed body B4 paint.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: My '55 170B Project

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Nice John. Who's STC did your use? Where are your going to be operationg this 170 on those wheel skis. Florida. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

You will have a real flyer there. :D A good camper.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I lost my admiration for sky lights when I flew my Stinson L-5G down from Alaska back in about 1949.
The L-5, being basically an observation airplane, had a plexiglas top on the cabin and I flew it home on furlough from Fairbanks during the summer. I damn near got broiled in the summer sun down here in the lower forty eight. My first job on return to Alaska was to remove all the plesiglas and install an insulated metal cabin top.
The last time I looked, that old L-5 was still on the registry someplace down in Oklahoma. Damn, I sure did love that old airplane, N63970. Those were the days before the "warbird" movement and then it was just an old surplus Army plane and I sold it for $900. What the hell, you could buy a P-51 for $500 in those days.
Last edited by blueldr on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BL
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

The engine STC we used is from DelAire. Got the interior painted and brackets fit for the ELT and EFIS Magnetometer. Firewall is positioned for riveting this weekend. The carpet is from a friend's C185...notice how well it fits in a 170B. Amazed at how much you can do and still be compliant within the rules of CAR 3. TSO and PMA were not known then. Manufacturers were able to use auto parts and common items that kept prices affordable. I believe the change and related costs of compliance to FAR Part 23 was the death knell of aviation for the everyday common man. Even the LSA planes are way over $100K mark.
John
Attachments
Firewall in place ready for lots of rivets!!
Firewall in place ready for lots of rivets!!
Interior after paint and Extended Baggage in place
Interior after paint and Extended Baggage in place
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
170C

Post by 170C »

You sure are doing some super good looking work on you 170. Should be a super plane when completed. You mentioned you were going to keep it light and I believe just having the required instruments so that may be the answer to my question, but I will ask anyway. While you had the firewall out did you consider converting the control yoke to a U vs the factory T which would permit a center stack?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

Regarding the yoke. Yes I did consider the Avion Research STC or similar that replaces the 170 yoke wiht one from a later model 172. It turns out it will not be needed to fit the EFIS that will be installed to this panel. There is enough depth to fit the EFIS just above the center cutout (that will house the Com and Xponder. See pic of proposed panel layout.
John
Attachments
Proposed Upper Panel
Proposed Upper Panel
WSHIII

Post by WSHIII »

E.I. makes a combination Oil pressure/temp gauge. Allows you to get rid of one more gauge!
N8034A '52 170B #20886
paulbritton88

Post by paulbritton88 »

Nice Job!
Be very glad you installed the rudder return springs with the firewall off.

Post by JohnNielsen »

Got the base coat of white done last night. Masked the paint line for the blue before leaving. Should get the blue and yellow trim done this week, then hang the engine and send it to the avionics shop for panel and electrical while Kris finishes the wings, tail and control surfaces. Getting exited!!
John
Attachments
Base coat of white done.
Base coat of white done.
Base coat of white done
Base coat of white done
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

We got the color coats on yesterday and unwrapped the masking. Looks great and Imron has such a wonderful deep luster. The small touches of chrome like on the steps, handholds, door latches and tie down really pops against the blue. Next step is to finish firewall and mount engine. John
Attachments
Color and stripes done.
Color and stripes done.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Imron is hard to beat. While other products have neat-sounding market-names,.... I'll never forget how my old 206 kept receiving compliments on it's 26 year old, outside-storage-in-Texas-sun-and-WX Imron paint. It still looked fresh and crisp even when next to much newer airplanes.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

After some down time due to illness of one of the builders in this project, we are rocking ahead again. She is back on the gear with tail wheel and springs all refinished. The engine was mounted this week and the electrical shop is pre-wiring using a full scale mock up of the new panel. H-Stab is ready to mount. V-Stab is now painted and ready to mount. Windshield is fitted and ready to be secured in place. V-brace will go in just before that. When that is done, the plane will go the electrical shop for a few weeks to get all new wiring and the new panel installed.
Attachments
V-Stab ready to install.
V-Stab ready to install.
H-Stab ready to re-mount
H-Stab ready to re-mount
Engine is mounted
Engine is mounted
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

I have a tail!! The tail is now mounted, windshield installed, cowling has been fit and is being rivited this week. Elevator & rudder are painted and ready to install. Then it goes out to the Avionics shop for panel and wiring. While he is on that, the brand new wings will be painted and made ready for installation.
Attachments
Windshield installed, cowling has been fit and is now off being riveted together.
Windshield installed, cowling has been fit and is now off being riveted together.
V-brace and seat rails in.  Ready for new panel.
V-brace and seat rails in. Ready for new panel.
H Stab, V-Stab and rudder painted and mounted.
H Stab, V-Stab and rudder painted and mounted.