C-170B instrument panel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Lee

C-170B instrument panel

Post by Lee »

Hi ... I am replacing my original instrument panel ... anyone know what the original material was and the thickness? Thanks ... Lee (N1967C)
zenpilot

Re: C-170B instrument panel

Post by zenpilot »

Mornin'

I think your answer is imbedded in this thread http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... f=2&t=5346.

Not sure if you are asking about the vibration dampened mount, or the cover, or...???

I won't know the answer, but the mega-posters here will get you right...they always have for me. If you are so inspired, post a photo of the panel before, planned layout, and after completion!

Karl
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

There are other threads, some are linked from the thread Karl linked to in his post.

Lee, it would help if you were a bit more specific as Karl eluded to. What year do you have, the panels are different, are you replacing the actual panel or the overlay?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi! Finally got to answer the questions. I have a 1954 170B (Begging the obvious considering the year of manufacture !) and my goal is to replace the main panel ... not sure if I will keep the overlay on as I am thinking about extending the glare shield out a bit and putting lighting underneath. What is driving this is that the M1 Loran I have is now a prized boat anchor (tongue in cheek), and I want to go (if possible) all electric with regard to attitude gyro and directional gyro ... currently vacuum driven off a pump connected to the crankshaft via a belt. I can save weight and eliminate a few holes in the baffles and firewall. I am putting in a Jasco alternator and switching all fuses and pop out CBs to push/pull CBs. The airplane has dual NAV/Coms and is IFR certified (or was as it is currently out of annual) The idea I have is to install a 430 Garmin and eliminate one of the current NAV/Coms. I am also replacing the single oil pressure indicator with an EFI dual oil temp/pressure indicator. Ditto with the ammeter ... it will be a dual function volt/ammeter as well. I am even thinking about going with an electric tach and making what will essentially be a center stack of engine instruments ... again, weight reduction and I think it will clean up the panel. The attitude indicator is coming from RC Allen as is the directional gyro ... all electric with battery backup. The airplane was rebuilt about 25 years ago and a Horton STOL kit was installed along with several other STCs ... thus the airplane is not stock and to take it back would be more trouble than it is worth. The old panel was set up for the old gyros among other things and over the years several reducers were installed for newer instruments. I am thinking I want to go to a light grey or off white on the panel as the interior is off white and red to brighten things up. This reply is longer than intended but, I wanted you all to have an idea of the direction I am going. I have installed three STCs and have a few more in mind. Thanks, I hope this helps! Regards, Lee (N1967C)
minton

Post by minton »

Avion (www.avion.com) makes a complete panel upgrade kit (less overlay) it's a great fit and upgrade. I believe they have a web site. When I completed mine it was not approved for C-170's and I had to go the field approval route but since I have heard it now is stc'd (confirmed). Worth checking out as it's complete with prints and fits the first time out, accomodates the newer brow light mods, newer panel layouts and center stack radio configurations. They probably offer custom layout as well. Just ginning up the courage to write the check is the issue lol:
rperry

Post by rperry »

I desire to teach my kids and grandkids to fly with a panel that will allow them to transition to a modern aircraft without having to completely reorient themselves and learn a dozen new pilot tricks about modern GPS, etc. I'd like to put a reasonably standard modern instrument arrangement into my 1953 170B. The only real estate large enough is in the center, but gyro size won't allow a centered layout because of the control clearances necessary. Moving the 6-pack left and straddling the left control column (ostracizing the T&B) seems to be the best option, but I'd still like to try for the real thing. Have any of you been successful with a similar endeavor?

I know there are lots of you yelling "WHY?" right now, but the aircraft wasn't original when I bought it, it's a "working" airplane, an I'm more interested in my stated objectives than in preservation of an aircraft configuration that wasn't stock to start with. For me, "nostalgia" starts at least a decade before my "modern" 170.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

For as much work as you're talking about, you could replace the Control T for the newer Control U which allows for a center stack.
For that matter, I've seen 170's that have a complete panel from a later 172 with a six pack and everything.
Not sure what approval would be like for all that.

I don't want to argue the point but, wouldnt it be easier/cheaper to just buy a 172 or 152 with the panel layout you want? An IFR 152 might cost as much as the panel modification.

I went the opposite direction. I learned in a 'modern' 172 with G1000 and everything and now fly my '52 170. But I'm strictly a VFR kinda guy. Different missions.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Aspen Avionics might be something to think about, but I'd agree with David; a C-152 already equipped with what you're looking for might be the cheaper way to go in the long run.
Gary
rperry

Post by rperry »

While I agree about the C-172 and C-150/152, they all have a very serious deficiency -- the third wheel is on the wrong end! Aspen Avionics is right here in Albuquerque, so that thought came to me early in the deliberations. It solves all of the space problems behind the panel, and it introduces my students to glass, making it is definitely worth considering, even with the high price. It doesn't take replacing very many instruments, however, before the Aspen basic capability starts looking better in price, and it certainly has a reliability advantage.
Thanks for the inputs.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I know you're drooling over the prospects of new gadgets...(don't we all?)....but teaching the kids to fly well is more valuable than teaching them to fiddle and look at newfangled things inside the cockpit. As an instructor, it drives me nuts to see clients fiddle when they should be maintaining piloting skills, situational awareness and looking for traffic.
Fiddling is like texting-while-driving.
They can learn GPS anywhere, and if they don't have the flying skills ...it won't benefit them (nor will it require reorientation or particularly challenge them with a dozen new tricks) to fly another plane.

Stick and rudder and needle and ball is so much more valuable, it seems to me.

I'll get off rant now. I like Aspen too. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)