Looking for this 170

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jwpalmer

Re: Looking for this 170

Post by jwpalmer »

Well,the CD for N2940D has been purchased, it'll take a couple weeks to get here and then we'll know about this one. In the meantime, I'm going to keep the issue alive by attempting to contact the two owners that are not members and the owners of the two planes that were de-registered/expired.

John
jwpalmer

Post by jwpalmer »

Update: The CD's arrived with the all the registration data and, as luck would have it, neither Roesbery's plane, nor the other hopeful turned out to be "THE ONE". In fact, Mr. Roesbery may be interested to know that his plane has almost exclusively been based in Alaska and only made it as far south as WA for a short period of time. Funny seeing Territory of Alaska on paperwork since AK has been a State since a year before I was born. The other airplane moved around a lot and it was just coincidence that it was bought by someone who lived in the same county in Wisconsin as my wife's other set of grandparents. Wow, small world. Three possibilities left, MN, AK, and AZ. Another 30 bucks.

Mr. Roesbery, I will get the CD to your plane mailed to your PO Box this week sometime. Enjoy. :D

John
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Darn, I thought we had a winner in Roesbery's plane.

So there are no other photos of this plane to be found?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
jwpalmer

Post by jwpalmer »

We can't locate any other photos. Called all the family members and checked before I originally posted to this forum. There are still three other possibles, two of which are still flying. I emailed Tom Kelly (Arrow T Land and Cattle)Prescott, AZ, and asked him to check his log books for 2949D and email me back. Maybe I'll get a response. Tim Woller in Fairbanks never did, but it turned out not to be his plane anyway. The request for de-registration listed N2948D as scrapped or destroyed. No details on why. Left a message for Donald Abner in Tenstrike, MN to call. He has 2946D. And I'm trying to contact Clinton Melin in Palmer, AK. He used to own 2947D but wrecked it in 2006. :( NTSB report says a nose over in the snow on landing, damage to one wing, vertical, and rudder so I'm not sure why A/C wasn't repaired. All are current pilots so I am hoping that there is still some life left in this endeavor.

John
jwpalmer

Post by jwpalmer »

It looks like we have a winner! Clinton Melin of Palmer, AK (just a coincidence?) has come forward and claimed the prize (bragging rights to more of his plane's history). According to Mr. Melin, 2947D has been repaired and is in the paint shop getting beautified. I wonder which color he has chosen, Blue? Green? Red? I am hoping to get pictures from him soon. He also said that the Lycoming O-340 had been removed and he bought the plane with a TCM-O-300. Strange. Thanks again to everyone that helped, my wife is really psyched and is thinking that she may want to go to AK and bum a ride...

John w. Palmer
N6272G
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Perseverance pays off. Sometimes you can find that needle in the haystack!
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)