How airplanes are REALLY made

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

FredMa

Re: How airplanes are REALLY made

Post by FredMa »

Believe it or not that has happened in flight more than once and the planes had to land stuck together like that. Not with a cessna though, I don't remember the exact A/c type. Which would you rather be, top or bottom?
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

We had a Stearman do this to a Taylorcraft some years ago and chopped a gill type from tail to rear of pilot door. The pilot of the Taylorcraft didn't fly again. The Stearman couldn't see the craft in front of him when landing for one reason or another.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
jwpalmer

Post by jwpalmer »

Couple of years back, a Warrior landed on top of a C150 in Roanoke , TX. Used to have the picture of it as my computer wallpaper. They contacted on final and both planes made it to the ground safely. (I think though that the 150 was slightly over gross at that point!) I can't find a link to it, but I had considered bidding on the Warrior from the insurance co since the damage was minor.

John
170C

Post by 170C »

A somewhat similar incident occurred at Northwest Regional Airport in Roanoak, TX some years back. A Stinson 108 was in the process of taking off when another aircraft was attempting to land. The landing aircraft landed on top of the Stinson resulting in extensive damage to the Stinson. It was/is rebuildable however. The last time I saw it the rebuilding was about 75% complete. Don't know what the damage was to the other aircraft and no injuries to the best of my knowledge.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

jwpalmer wrote:Couple of years back, a Warrior landed on top of a C150 in Roanoke , TX. Used to have the picture of it as my computer wallpaper. They contacted on final and both planes made it to the ground safely. (I think though that the 150 was slightly over gross at that point!) I can't find a link to it, but I had considered bidding on the Warrior from the insurance co since the damage was minor.

John
170C wrote:A somewhat similar incident occurred at Northwest Regional Airport in Roanoak, TX some years back. A Stinson 108 was in the process of taking off when another aircraft was attempting to land. The landing aircraft landed on top of the Stinson resulting in extensive damage to the Stinson. It was/is rebuildable however. The last time I saw it the rebuilding was about 75% complete. Don't know what the damage was to the other aircraft and no injuries to the best of my knowledge.
I think I will stay away from both the Roanoke and Roanoak TX airports!
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
pdb

Post by pdb »

Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
jwpalmer

Post by jwpalmer »

Northwest Regional, Roanoke,TX is where both of these incidents occurred. It's also where the C172 clipped the SUV in the now famous YouTube video. Really, this airport sounds like its dangerous to go in and out of. At least four plane v plane collisions in the past 10 years and one plane v SUV. Surprisingly enough, I think most everyone survived.

John
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

Airplane pregnancy guide
Attachments
airplane birth.jpg
--Josh
1950 170A
canav8

Post by canav8 »

This is a real picture. The lower aircraft was a training flight. The CFI landed the airplane and the cherokee went along for the ride. They colided on short final. The Cherokee called final but the training flight did not hear the call. Instructor was talking and did not hear the call intelligibly. Instructor landed in the grass instead of the asphalt because he did not know what was on top of him. All were very lucky an the training flight was lucky that the cabin did not cave in on landing. The Cessna gear was destroyed. Cherokee is flying again.
Mating1.jpg
Mating1.jpg (15.99 KiB) Viewed 6963 times
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

Here are some pics of a couple of avro ansons with the same problem.
260px-WhenAnsonLandsOnAnson1940[1].jpg
260px-WhenAnsonLandsOnAnson1940[1].jpg (11.46 KiB) Viewed 8093 times
260px-Two_Avro_Ansons_(L9162_and_N4876)__piggyback__in_a_paddock_near_Brocklesby_2[1].jpg
260px-Two_Avro_Ansons_(L9162_and_N4876)__piggyback__in_a_paddock_near_Brocklesby_2[1].jpg (9.9 KiB) Viewed 8093 times
260px-Two_Avro_Ansons_(L9162_and_N4876)__piggyback__in_a_paddock_near_Brocklesby_1[1].jpg
260px-Two_Avro_Ansons_(L9162_and_N4876)__piggyback__in_a_paddock_near_Brocklesby_1[1].jpg (10.92 KiB) Viewed 8093 times
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

http://youtu.be/7Jkj63Vez98
A related video you may also enjoy.
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

This also happened with two B-17's during wwII over Hamberg Germany. NO pictures of course but a very interesting story. A few of the crew members that bailed out didn't make it but most did and a pilot that flew both planes to the ground while on fire did survive the crash with practically no injury.
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

Yeah, it kind of reminded me of two mad hornets attacking each other in flight. No translation is necessary, I can already imagine what they were saying.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I was flying a state representative in a Baron and had entered downwind on the 45 at the uncontrolled field. I made callouts downwind, base, and final.
When on very short final (less than 1/4 mile) my passenger tapped me on the shoulder and pointed out the shadow of a wing on the trailing edge of my left wing. I'd have never noticed it until too late otherwise.
It was a restored-Stearman arriving straight-in and descending onto final approach...no radio calls.
I went around by diving to the right and flying alongside him while he touched down. I then turned crosswind and re-entered the pattern.
When I got to the FBO office the Stearman pilot had bailed-out leaving his airplane to the line-boys to tie-down, jumped into his car and immediately left, clearly not wishing to discuss the matter with me. The FBO people stated that he was a regular and had the sort of attitude that he was more important than anyone else in the pattern, that he almost never used his radio unless he was calling ahead for services, but that he'd been surprised by the sudden appearance of a Baron on his right wing as he flared and landed.
He apparently never realized that he'd almost let down onto me. :evil:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)