CFI's that conduct Flight Reviews

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

femoskol

Re: CFI's that conduct BFR's.

Post by femoskol »

Fred Moskol, CFII
Co-owner 1952 C170B w/ Lycoming 180/CS prop
1988 BE 36
femoskol@wisc.edu
Madison,WI
marathonrunner

Re: CFI's that conduct BFR's.

Post by marathonrunner »

Not to be overly nit picky...well o.k. I guess I am, this every 24 calendar month review is technically called a "Flight Review" I think they quit calling it a Biennial Flight Review a long time ago and most likely due to the number of CFI's signing them off and "Biannual Flight Reviews" Who the heck wants to do that twice a year? I still see posts on the airports of "Biannual Flight Reviews" with names and numbers of the CFI. Sort of like where do you store your airplane in a hanger or hangar. You see a lot of that as well.

Also, when you sign them off you are a CFI. Dick Ardez who owned Aero Tech on Merrill Field and recently passed away pointed this out to me. Deck was very well versed in the FAR's and no kidding often if the local FAA did not know an answer they would say "Go ask Dick". When I got my multi engine endorsement and he was giving me the check ride and oral, he asked how you sign the books and did not like the CFII. He had me pull out my certificate and read the front which says "CFI"

When you turn it over under ratings it reads "Flight Instructor Airplane Single and multi engine;Instrument Airplane. He was very very adamant about writing only CFI on entries and not CFII.

Again picking nits and a funny ending was on the check ride in his ancient Aztec, we shot the VOR approach to Big Lake. He told me after the missed to turn to a heading that was Northeast. This was before commencing the approach. Oh and he loved to put sectionals in the windscreen to completely cover the windscreen so I had that too. He made you wear a hood. I asked him if I could use foggles and he said "You can wear them too with your hood if you want"

Anyway I go missed and climb up and turn on heading. A long time passes, I mean a long time. I finally peak past the sectionals and the mountains are very near, I glance over to Dick and he is sound asleep...what a dilemma, I reached over and pulled the right prop lever back and made the airplane surge. He came instantly awake and immediately gave me an immediate 120 degree heading change to the left.

Neither of us said anything about it and I did pass the ride that day.
It's not done till it's overdone
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: CFI's that conduct Flight Reviews

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

OK I've corrected the subject line of the first post George made some time ago so all future listings will say flight review. However I'm not going to change each and every post subject made to this point. And I'm also not going to correct the word biannual in George's first post. He can do that himself. :)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

bi·en·ni·al (b-n-l)
adj.
1. Lasting or living for two years.
2. Happening every second year.
3. Botany Having a life cycle that normally takes two growing seasons to complete.
n.
1. An event that occurs every two years.
2. Botany
a. A plant that normally requires two seasons to complete its life cycle, growing usually as a rosette in the first season and producing flowers and fruits and then dying in the second season.
b. A perennial plant, such as the English daisy, cultivated as a biennial

bi·an·nu·al (b-ny-l)
adj.
1. Happening twice each year; semiannual.
2. Occurring every two years; biennial.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Nice job Bruce...I think those guys who fly red airplanes probably do need them twice a year so maybe George meant biannual :lol: :lol:
paulbritton88

Southwest of Houston

Post by paulbritton88 »

Paul Britton. CFI, II, MEI, ATP

Taildraggers: J-3, Citabria, Cessna-170, U-2

KARM and KELA
281-216-0036

Post by marathonrunner »

Well Bruce, I guess George does them twice a year...still the same post. Like I said the guys that fly red airplanes probably need "Biannuals" Glad mine is green. :x :lol:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Sorry, guys! I guess I was succumbing to the colloquial reference, and misspelled it.

I didn't mean to put two "n's" in the description. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

HOw about the "a" instead of the "e" :) :lol: I would just say a case of "southern " english y'all which plural is all y'all :lol:
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

No wonder the FAA changed it to just "flight review" biennial in southern is "BA" "N" "YALL" :lol:
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

Scott Lanis, Gold Seal Flight Instructor, CFII, MEI, ATP
North Pole / Fairbanks Alaska YEAR 'ROUND
Wheels or floats, your airplane or mine
scott@blue4aviation.com
dunlaps3

Post by dunlaps3 »

Hey Marathonrunner , not to be overly-overly nit picky , but is it " Dick" or is it "Deck " ? Maybe go back to the "Hanger" and figure that out. :lol:
Just messin' with ya , AD
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, I guess I STILL can't spel. (Ben hangin' 'roun' prez-phinstermakker to long.)

I meant to be more descriptive of the review-process and say bi-Anal review. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ragsrettzo

Post by ragsrettzo »

i would like to add my name to this list i am a cfi. SEL i own a mooney as well as a 1949 170A. i am also an A&P/IA my contact info
rags rettzo 602-697-4125 i live in chandler arizona
cfii_dan

Post by cfii_dan »

Dan Prudek
CFI
Spokane WA and Coeur d'Alene ID
509 995-8386