Spinner Bulkhead Cracked

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ratso

Spinner Bulkhead Cracked

Post by Ratso »

I have a 170B, s/n 25888 with 8 bolt C-145 in annual and after removing the spinner we found a 1 inch crack in the spinner bulkhead that follows the arc of the crank flange. The A&P and I removed the prop and discovered the spinner bulkhead crack scribed a semi-circle arc three quarters of the way around the circumference where it is mated between the prop and crank flange. I contacted an aviation welding shop and sent photos: they said it was cracked beyond repair.

I found a replacement through Univair, but I would rather not have to take out a second mortgage even if interest rates are at a all-time low. Anyone know where to find a used spinner bulkhead or a salvage yard to start my search?

Thanks in advance, Steve
Ron Smith

Re: Spinner Bulkhead Cracked

Post by Ron Smith »

What is the part # you need? Thanks, Ron
Ratso

Post by Ratso »

Ron,

Thanks for the quick reply. The part is at the hangar along with my IPB. I will get the part number in the morning and post soonest. Thanks for your help in advance.

Steve
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

There are several different suppliers making the bullet type spinner. In other words you need to make sure you are getting a bulkhead that will work with your spinner as they all have slight differences. A picture of your spinner would probably be your best bet of getting one that might work.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

There is a salvage yard in Artesia, N.M., that specializes in spinners. I think they advertise in TAP.
BL
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

Some spinners also have a forward plate attached to the front of the prop instead of the "Plug" that fits into the hole in the prop hub. It is attached with the prop bolts and the spinner has screws that attach to the forward plate. I would suggest buying the entire assembly to ensure that it will work or try to get yours welded somewhere else.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Have you tried fitting a full circle doubler to the back side of the backing plate?
BL
Ratso

Post by Ratso »

Thanks for all the info. After a trip to the hanger to get bulkhead part number the stamp revealed the cracked bulkhead was from Univair. I am certain the poor fit between the spinner boss and prop hub caused a movement that eventually cracked the bulkhead. So I assume purchasing a replacement Univair bulkhead it should fit the spinner.

Aryana - what is the procedure to use Proseal for a better spinner boss to prop fit?

Steve