attitude indicator

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pmel22

attitude indicator

Post by pmel22 »

Hello all..My question is regarding my intermittent AI. My aircraft 1956 172 (getting ready for the nose wheel jokes) Anyway, any recommendations before I send it out. Works most of the time but every once in a while its all over the place and even recently was spinning around after I landed and was taxing back to the ramp. Suction gauge reads 5 I have 2 venturis. thanks Pete
Robert Eilers

Re: attitude indicator

Post by Robert Eilers »

Check your static line filter first to insure it does not need changing - most do. Also check your static lines for any blockage such as water. Most probably an older AI with deteriorating bearings. I had a similar problem and wound up replacing the gyro.
"You have to learn how to fall before you learn how to fly"
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Search the forums and you will find recommendations for overhaul shops. I had both my AI and my Turn/Slip overhauled by AQI in Wichita. I received several recommendations in regards to them form fellow members. I couldn't have been happier with their service, pricing and results. They called to verify they had received my instruments and asked a couple questions to make sure they knew exactly what work I wanted performed. The appearance of the re-conditioned faces was worth the money alone, but both instruments have worked flawlessly since that time, approx 2 years. Quick turn time as well.

Hope this helps.

Jughead
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Your Attitude Indicator has a rough bearing which occasionally "hangs up" at the rough roller. It will need bearing replacements. Send it for overhaul. (Aircraft Quality Instruments is who does mine.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
pmel22

Post by pmel22 »

Thanks everyone....
pmel22

Post by pmel22 »

Hi I have another question regarding my AI...I pulled the panel back a little and noticed the filter(down on the right above the glove box). There are two ends where tubes would be attached. One end has a tube attached and one doesn't. A friend suggested that the other end on the filter should be closed off...I have no clue, if anyone could enlighten me I would appreciated it...thanks Pete
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Your friend is correct, all air should flow thru the filter.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
bat443

Post by bat443 »

I'm probably wrong, but I think one fitting is the inlet to the filter and the other is the outlet from the filter to the instruments. Remember it is a vacuum system, the air source is cabin air.

Tim
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

RAPCO-FILTER.jpg
RAPCO-FILTER.jpg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 10449 times
airbornefilter.jpg
airbornefilter.jpg (7.65 KiB) Viewed 10449 times
Doesn't matter if you have two tubes on one end or a single tube at each end. Air is all suppose to enter through the white filter and exit each tube. If one tube is not used, it should be capped otherwise air will be sucked into the system through it bypassing the filter element.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
pmel22

Post by pmel22 »

I have the one pictured on the top. A tube is connected on the one side , nothing on the other side. Could the one side being open be the possible cause of my instruments not always being up to par...thanks
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

It still sounds like a rough bearing in the gyro.

If the other side of the filter isnt plugged, you're pulling unfiltered air thru your gyros. They will still work this way but may be the cause of the rough bearing (or other dirt inside the unit).

If you use it for IFR, have it sent out and overhauled.
If you fly VFR, stop looking at it :)
pmel22

Post by pmel22 »

Thanks.....one more question....I notice a couple of the fittings on back of the AI and DG move around a little, are they supposed to be really tight. Thanks again
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

They are normally tight. Having said that if they move a little when you try to move them it is most likely fine so long as they aren't sloppy loose. Be careful should you try to tighten them. Over tightening will crack the instrument case rendering the instrument useless.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
pmel22

Post by pmel22 »

Thanks Bruce
pmel22

Post by pmel22 »

Thanks all.....found a small tube connecting the 2 instruments not connected......all is well!