Should braking occur when applying full rudder?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Should braking occur when applying full rudder?

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Just completed a tailwheel rebuild and installed a new spring. Big difference! If you are thinking about doing this, go for it.

But while test driving my A & P noticed that when applying full right rudder (and feet on the floor) the right brake also applies. This does not happen when applying full left rudder - no braking.

Which is correct? Should you get any braking action when applying full rudder? Any thoughts on what's out of adjustment and what I need to do to get this in sync?

Kyle
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Kyle, you might check the inside and outside brake cylinder brackets ( P/N 0411549 & 0411550) for being secure to the tunnel, and not cracked/broken. You shouldn't have any application of brakes unless you push forward on the top of the rudder pedals in any rudder position. Application of brakes when not needed on one side only, or even both, could be a disaster in a landing.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
dacker

Post by dacker »

Kyle, I am having a lot of sheetmetal work done on my A model right now. I just had the bulkhead where the brake cylinder attaches repaired. This almost caused me to wreck mine on the very first flight after I signed the check and took possession. Absolutely look at this, I understand it is quite common on 170s.
As a side note, I have put roughly 150 hours on mine, maybe a thousand landings, I always thought it was a little more touchy on roll out than other taildraggers that I have flown. On one of the last flights,I couldn't keep the son of a gun straight on landing to save my life. Thought that I had forgotten how to fly. I had a pretty good crosswind but nothing terrible, and the darn thing would veer off in the opposite direction than the crosswind. I finally gave up and taxied in to find my taiwheel chain hung up under the leaf spring causing the tailwheel to cock off to the side. I removed a link from both sides of the chains and voila! I now have a positive handling 170. The difference in handling is like night and day. Since this is the only 170 that I have ever flown I thought that was just the way she flew. Live and learn.
I hope you solve your problem.
David
Tom Downey

Parking Brake cables.

Post by Tom Downey »

reach under the rudder pedals and remove the small cable that attaches the parking brake knob, to the master cylinders.. Most are out of rig, and can set the parking brake while flying specially when doing high angle of bank turns and when using the rudder to full stops.

then you land with the brakes on............bad news
Tom Downey A&P-IA