Great News! N5444C back in the air, C-170A

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

spduffee

Re: Great News! N5444C back in the air, C-170A

Post by spduffee »

A lot more comfortable, yes. I was very close to buying a 140, but the owner was kind enough to tell me that I look like a goofball sitting inside the tiny cabin (6'6" and 280#) and reminded me I couldn't carry anything with, except for a crowbar to get my big arse out of the cockpit. He ended up selling it to a munchkin who is having a ball with it....
I see Blake is in Alabama, from his handle at least. Wanna meet half way?
N5448C -1950 170-A
BlakeinAlabama

Post by BlakeinAlabama »

N5444C is now based in the Huntsville, AL area and loves it, lol. As for difference between the 120/140 and the 170, I describe it that the 170 lands like a truck. The 140 is quick to respond and light on the pedals, but the 170 lags and you have to be one it because it takes a moment to get a response, so it could get away from ya. As far as in the air, I love the 170, SO much on the controls and huge window and flys nose low and lets you see alot more than the 140. I ordered new fuel drain plugs yesterday and a fuel gauge stick, nylon washers to put under the screws on the cowling and other odds and ends. I do have some work to do to it, I want to remove and clean the fuel takes and I think the fuel gauges are not working right, so that might be fun.

I have located another 170A that I used to fly that had crashed and got parted out for the most part, but lots still left. I am going to try and buy the whole think to have extra stuff and a data plate.
Blake Mathis
Huntsville, AL
BlakeMathis@yahoo.com
BlakeinAlabama

Post by BlakeinAlabama »

Here is a photo after I got my 170 to HSV and got it in my hangar with my other plane. :) ha
Attachments
5444C-1.JPG
Blake Mathis
Huntsville, AL
BlakeMathis@yahoo.com