Computing True Air Speed

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr

Computing True Air Speed

Post by blueldr »

For anyone having IAS or TAS problems;
The web site below is easy to use and seems to be exceptionally accurate. I have used it with many airplanes to check the accurracy of the air speed indicators. You will need a GPS or a LORAN. I use my hand held GPS.

REA Computing

Sorry I don't know an easier way to bring it up.
BL
flyguy

????????

Post by flyguy »

BLUE WE NEED MORE INFO!

I WENT TO GOOGLE AND COULD FIND NOTHING ABOUT TAS ON "REA COMPUTING".

TYPE IN THE "ADDRESS" THAT IS IN YOUR "LOCATION BAR" IN YOUR POST'
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
JDH

Post by JDH »

N1277D

TAS/IAS Software

Post by N1277D »

If there is an interest I have a utility program for Windows that calculates true and indicated airspeed from GPS groundspeeds. I have used it to calibrate my airspeed indicator and got good results from it.

Phil
flyguy

BOO BOO

Post by flyguy »

I went there yesterday but didn't go to the "APPLETS" link. (SUMTIMES HESA JES DUMMER N DIRT_)

Now is this really a way to "calibrate an airspeed indicator? I have some misgivings about the procedure and time spent doing all those gyrations. With 'SO MANY' variables to consider what is the "real" benefit. GPS reported ground speeds vary between different units. Maybe not much but a variable nevertheless. Magnetic variation way out west does another curious alteration to the "Cardinal Heading" requirement. Compasses act goofy way out in them thar deserts! A GPS heading/track will show something different than that ole whiskey compass does. Next variable, I can do straight and level but sometimes not at the same time! :lol:

My suggestion( FWIW) "Go to a good avionics shop and do a certified calibration" - then spend the flying time behind that "SUPER ACCURATE" airspeed indicator coming to Louisiana to see me! I'll feed you some fried turkey or boudin!

http://www.satansbreath.com/recipes/nav ... boudin.htm
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!