IPC

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

IPC

Post by c170b53 »

Would there be a problem to digitize the ipc and post it to the mx library in a pdf format? It could save members a few bucks.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The big reason I could think of is copywrite infringement. It is already available on CD in PDF format. Search this site for the name of the company.

I have both the CD and a hard copy. I find the hard copy is easier to look at ad find things. Then if I need a copy for the hanger or otherwise I print the page from the CD.

The Service Manual and IPC will be one of the cheapest things you'll buy for your airplane.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
3993v

ipc

Post by 3993v »

The name of the company for manuels on cd is McCurtain techonology group. http://www.mccurtaintg.com nick
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The original IPC was not copyrighted and fell into the public domain. McCurtain was able to use that oversight by Cessna to produce their CD product which they DID copyright. It would be illegal to produce unlicensed copies of the McCurtain CD's, but would not be illegal to reproduce the uncopyrighted original manual.
Creating CD's of the original manual would be OK, just as McCurtain did, but having gone to all that trouble, it would be a special kind of generosity (not to mention expense) to simply give that hard work away.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

That's interesting George. How do you know the original feel into public domain and is not copywrited?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Neither the orginal nor the Univair produced manuals most folks buy now thru Univair or Spruce make any copyright claims or notification. Univair printed copies and sold them under their own logo, but disclaimed responsibility on the title page. (If you order an IPC from Spruce, you will receive the non-copyrighted Univair manual.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)