Semi Annual Annual

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1478D

Semi Annual Annual

Post by N1478D »

I am curious if anybody else does a 6 month semi annual :?: I average 175 hours a year and do not want to wait 12 months to do a lot of the things that are done at annual time. So, at the 6 month point, I clean & rotate the plugs, clean the engine compartment, tighten everything up, new air fillter, lubricate all hinges, pullys, etc - actually do this every quarter, grease the tailwheel, service the battery, and do a differential compression check on the cylinders. This allows me to have a better feel of the general health and condition of the plane. I go into a lot of grass strips, so the air filter needs to be replaced earlier than 12 months. The compression test hopefully would help alert me to a potential problem. It also gives me confidence that in 6 more months there are not going to be any big surprises at annual time.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

In the world of Part 135,they call this a hundred-hour inspection. No doubt a good practice.

Eric
JDH

Post by JDH »

Hey Joe, I fly mine quite a bit too and fly out of a "dusty" grass field; sand under the grass. I change my oil and filters (air and oil) every 25 hours. Incidentaly,because of huge temperature ranges here; from +40º C in summer to -40º C in winter, I use Aeroshell W100 in summer and 15W50 in winter. If I use 15W50 in the summer, the engine runs hotter and more oil leaks out of the generator seal and blow tube. At which time, I remove the cowl, clean and inspect everything I can, tighten, fit and fix anything I had not caught in my pre-flight inspections. I do not however check compression (maybe I should). I change the air filter cause it's only $8, why bother cleaning, etc... Bleed the brakes as soon as they get spongy, grease the tail regularly and check for spring tension, etc. I think you can't overdo preventative maintenance and as I was told by a few people, with the help of what we learn on these posts and all we read, you probably know more or just as much as anyone about your plane. And if you're like me, better safe than sorry... JD
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

JD, that is a good idea changing the filter like you do. Was in the mindset that I was doing it more than required, but I like your method better, going to start changing the air filter more often. I run straight 50 weight (Aeroshell 100 red label) year round here in Texas. Change every 25 hours but have been thinking about changing that to every 20 hours. I never have to bleed my brakes, at annual I have to add a little fluid. Put new pads on this last annual. When the winds get up here across the runway I use my brakes a lot, especially while taxieing and some gusty crosswind conditions. Would hate to be without them during those times.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX