Wheel Pants (and TCP)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

indymoor

Wheel Pants (and TCP)

Post by indymoor »

Hello All
I'm a new kid on the block and the first time on the Forum. I bought my first airpane last month. N5711C, 19665 a 50 170A. It has been a joy. Have a few questions for you experts. I have one (right) original wheel pant and I think its in pretty good condition. I have a set of new glass wheel pants that are not finished and am not planing on putting them on right now. I would like to know what a wheel pant like this would be worth? I'm trying to come up with extra $ to put shoulder harness in the airplane. Any thoughts or recommendations on shoulder harness? Also, the TT on the engine since major is 1150 and was overhauled by Schneck in 1961. The aircraft has been very well cared for. The last annuals all show good compression. This C145 sounds and runs so smooth. What can I expect from this engine in the near future? Go easy on me guys! The previous owner used TCP regularly. Schould I do the same? Any inputs at all would be great. Thanks,Rick
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Rick,
Congratulations on the new airplane! I bought my '50 C-170A in May and am loving it ... though this time of year it's hard to fly much when I need the weather, time off and time available all to coincide to enjoy the plane.

Anyway, I have original wheel pants on mine and have been told that they are worth anywhere from $1500 to $4500 for the pair. The caveot to that is that I don't want to sell them so I haven't researched those numbers. They were just the opinion of some of the guys at the local airport. Having just one might make a significant difference in it's value.
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
indymoor

Post by indymoor »

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. It was a great day for the end of December in Indiana. Sunny and almost 50. Got 2 and half hours in today.
I thought if someone had a torn up right wheel pant I would make the one I have available.
Do you have shoulder harness in yours?
Also where is a good place to get the Illistrated Parts Catolog and service manual?
Have so many questions but out of time for now.
Thanks to all,
Rick
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Welcome and good luck with your plane. IPC and service manuals are available at a few places.

Aircraftspruce.com or 877-477-7823

Another option is to purchase your parts catalogue on Compact Disk
http://www.mccurtaintg.com/cessna1.htm#sku17004

I pulled these last lines from other posts.

I have the CD and a nice original copy of both the service manual (Cessna Service Manual 100 Series 1962 and prior) and an IPC for my 170A that I found on ebay.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Rick,
I have the Cessna type shoulder harnesses (non "reel-in" type), it was done by a previous owner. If I were to do it I would probably do the BAS harnesses since they're type that reel themselves in, and is very nice. I'm always having to fiddle with the harnesses for the passenger side since my passengers range from my kids (10 years old and 70 lbs) all the way up to the large sized adult (6'3" and 225 lbs). When I go from one size to another I need to adjust the harness to fit properly ... it's not a big deal, but if I had the reel type it would really be a non-issue.
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey, Rick! Congratulations on the acquisition! Join the Association. (headquarters@cessna170.org)
You'll need the mounting hardware for your glass pants when you install them, so keep that in mind. That hardware is a big portion of the value of original metal pants. (I don't know who told Mike pants were worth $4500 but I'd sell mine for that price.)
Original, metal, perfect condition pants with all the hardware is worth about $1500, in my estimation. One wheel pant in excellent condition might bring a few hundred, but don't try to advertise it for sale here without following the forum rules. (You must be a TIC170A member and the ad must be emailed to webmaster@cessna170.org for free listing in the TradeMart section of this forum. Your msg is borderline on the rule, because of it's implication but in the interests of congeniality and welcome ... :wink: )
Your previous owner did you a big favor using TCP. Lead buildups already deposited don't just go away and the only way to prevent the buildups with 100LL is to use TCP. I'd recommend you keep using it.
It's getting difficult to find economically because of hazardous materials shipping fees, so order a quantity sufficient to make it worthwhile. (I'm lucky in that I drive by the place about once-a-month and can just pick it up, but otherwise you'll have to get it thru Aviall, or Spruce, or some other supplier who must ship it to you. You might try contacting Alcor directly to see what they might do for you. http://www.alcorinc.com/DOCS/1/tcp.html
I buy it directly from them at $44/gal. (about 1-1/2 years worth) It adds about 3 cents to the price of 100LL, but no spark-plug fouling and no valve sticking, and none of the other problems associated with the various fuel issues.
The C145/O-300 engine to this day enjoys the highest reliability statistics in the aero engine categories (along with it's cousin the O-200.) Pretty remarkable for an "obsolete" engine.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
indymoor

Post by indymoor »

Goerge,
I am a member,just new to the forum. Ops, :oops: sorry, I'm learning.
Thank for all the info. All your post are very educational.

Thanks,
Rick
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

I've had TCP on backorder from Spruce for some time. Anyone have any success ordering elsewhere? I'm going to try the MFG tomorrow.
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce (and others) ,...Cantact Alcor directly. (website above or try 800-354-7233)
They'll ship it to you.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n3437d

Alcor-TCP

Post by n3437d »

A few weeks ago I attempted to purchase some tCP and visited the web site listed in prior post onl;y to be greeted by the following message:"Price list has been temporarily disabled for site upgrade."
As of a few minutes ago the Alcor site still showed the same message. I called to speak to a "live" soul. I was informed that they have stopped shipping TCP via FedEX, UPS due to extremely expensive (cost prohibitive)shipping charges. They will and do ship to large FBO's throughout the USA. I have one nearby in Sacremento but I have to fly ther to pick it up.

If anyone else knows of a better/or cheaper way to obtain this liquid Gold please post a message.

Wishing you a have and safe 2004 flying season. :P
Visitors are more than welcome. Stop by and say hello.