Stuck Door Latch

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Re: Stuck Door Latch

Post by 170C »

I thought that was reserved for Bonanza owners :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

OK, here is what John D. Benham gave me when I bought the STC from him in 2008. John pulled these out of his personal notebook and handed them to me. He did not have a working copy machine at the time. They were well worn when I got them so maybe they were his working copies, I don't know. They were in this shape shown when I got them. There are a lot of distracting "ghost images" on the copies but they were there when I got them, sorry.

Looking over the paperwork now where I did not before, I have to give Del Lehmann much more credit for figuring all this out. I had no idea of the scope of the job. Del did beautiful work on the latch installation and they work very well. The mod does hack up the inside of the door some but it is all covered up by the door side panel trim. The outside looks like it was done at the factory.

Here is a link to them in our library: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... 92#p110392
Last edited by hilltop170 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Looks like a great winter project to go with re-welding my door hinges!
Without having a way to buy the STC, I'll need to get a field approval which may require a DER to sign off on the door post mod.
The door post is structural so I'd imagine it'd cause the same hoopla as drilling a hole for a rivnut in the carry thru spar.
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks Richard!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bagarre wrote:SA3866SW appears to still be valid with the FAA

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guida ... t=sa3866sw

Woudln't it have been revoked or something if they decided it was no longer valid?
The FAA database is so unreliable for so many reasons.... and one example is this one.... the owner is deceased, and that contact info is no longer valid because the family moved.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

But that doesn't mean the STC is no longer valid.
Unless it was explicitly revoked, the exec of the estate, they could still issue the STC.

Unless the FAA has a rule somewhere that invalidates STCs when you pass on or fail to provide a forwarding address.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bagarre wrote:But that doesn't mean the STC is no longer valid.
Unless it was explicitly revoked, the exec of the estate, they could still issue the STC.

Unless the FAA has a rule somewhere that invalidates STCs when you pass on or fail to provide a forwarding address.
I was only speaking to the loss of contact info. This is an ongoing, serious problem since the STC owner is responsible for the ongoing support/liability issues. The aircraft owner is left hanging.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I thought you were saying the entire STC was no longer valid because of the contact info.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

George you're probably describing the fate of many STC's and the peril of altering a plane with an STC. As a originality nut might you be a bit biased? :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

My memory just flushed in some fresh stuff. Wasn't it our memberTom Hall that was our previous maintenance coordinator who had an STC for the installation of later model Cessna door latches in our C-170s? That was a really good fix.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Let me help your fresh memories BL.

Wasn't it our memberTom Hall that was our previous maintenance coordinator. -Yes Tom was our previous maintenance coordinator.

Who had an STC for the installation of later model Cessna door latches in our C-170s? -No it was John Benham, Association Co-founder

That was a really good fix. -If you say so I believe it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Whoever moved the Benham STC to the Library, thank you.

As far as where is the Benham STC owner/holder now is anybody's guess. After John D died, there was an auction at his hangar that went on all day long. It was hard to believe how much stuff had been hoarded away in that hangar. I was there for a good bit of it and picked up a few good deals. Anyway, if I remember correctly, the STC was auctioned off to persons unknown to me so it is not in the Benham family any longer, again, if I am remembering correctly.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

If the STC has been sold as you describe Richard then likely the new owner doesn't know what they bought or what to do about getting being recognized as the owner. But they don't own it until they are recognized as the rightful owner by the FAA.

I can tell you in the case of our own STC the FAA web site was updated to reflect the change of ownership at the same time we received our STC paperwork. So, at least in our case there is no lag between STCs changing hands and ownership info reflected on the web site.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

Hey all, haven't been on in awhile, My 2 cents--you can have more than 1 STC to cover the same thing. Richard/Bruce make a list of parts and process and apply for an STC in the your name and then turn it over to the Assn.(if you want). While doing some work on The engine STC I was told (by FAA) they did not care how the data/process/parts/etc were obtained they would look at it and if acceptable approve it. Since you are not manufacturing parts just updating to a newer style (all parts manufactured by Cessna) A lot less BS. I would think no need for DER or any of that stuff. Pretty much straight forward if the process and paperwork is in order. Our contact at the FAA has changed Jobs she is no longer at Denver-I think I have her email (likedin) if you would like to contact her. Ron
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Wouldn't the FAA want some documentation from a DER about the door post modification
I think we all KNOW that it doesn't affect strength however I don't have a way to PROVE that it doesnt affect strength.

I just scrounged all the parts to do the conversion so it woudlnt be that hard to write up a step by step installation procedures and a drawing for the new (shorter) linkage for the inside door handle and an accurate template for the door post mod.