Rear Seat Removal

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

You may be right George. I did receive training for various configuration changes, but I don't remember anything about the documentation other than W&B info to allow us to account for changes in the loading. I guess it is a good thing that I never got an FAA ramp check with Critical Air as I would not have been able to produce any 337s...just the info regarding the weight of each cabin item and its location. But as I have alluded to before, my nose gets rubbed into the FAA regs hot and heavy at work, so I use my C-170 and GA to "cleanse" my system and do my best to avoid all manner of regulation. I just remove the seat when needed and away I go 8) I just need to come up with a quick release method to attach the seat to the floor and side walls. The bolts don't lend themselves well to repeated removal...one of the nutplates in the side wall has already stripped and I can feel the other wall nutplate is ready to strip as well. Any ideas :?:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Any change to the method of mounting the seat would have to follow FAR 43's Acceptable Methods/Materials. Whether it's a major or minor alteration would determine how much trouble/expense the new method would entail.
It would sure be nice if "PIP" pins (Quick-release type pins) would sure be a nice method if they could be determined to be legal. The problem with the rear seat is that it also serves to attach the seat belts. If the belts attached to the floor or other structure with AN hardware it might be a simpler matter.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)